Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Cary 50 Sportfish

There's one of these sitting in a yard in Trappe, MD. It's a 50 with what is obviously custom coachwork since I have never seen a Cary 50 with a tower. It looks like it was powered with twin outboards since it has a pair of brackets on the stern. I can't imagine what would power such a hull unless they were God's own outboards. normally the Carys had HUGE engines and Arneson drives. Anyone seen anything else like this? Could be my next project....

There's one of these sitting in a yard in Trappe, MD. It's a 50 with what is obviously custom coachwork since I have never seen a Cary 50 with a tower. It looks like it was powered with twin outboards since it has a pair of brackets on the stern. I can't imagine what would power such a hull unless they were God's own outboards. normally the Carys had HUGE engines and Arneson drives. Anyone seen anything else like this? Could be my next project....

I would think even twin 350 yammies wont be enough for that boat!

I went and crawled around on it. What a wreck. Looks like it spent some time under water. Lots of rot in the cabin and upper works. Coachroof is very soft. It does have brackets for quad outboards. The brackets are deeply corroded and pitted. The hull extension that the brackets bolt to is full of water. It has been stripped of everything and the belowdecks areas are rather funky, to say the least. On the plus side, it is a nice big boat that could be rebuilt for a relatively small investment. It's just in a very sad state of affairs. Hate to see such a once regal boat on hard times. Like seeing a Ferrari wrapped around a tree.

As for repowering, I looked in the hole below the cockpit and there is room for inboard power. There's a rotted Northern Lights genny in there. Below the weather deck is a huge open area that would have housed the engines were it an inboard. Since it was powered with OBs, the space is empty except for tankage. It's about 15 long, beam width and 5 feet high.

It has two heads with showers P and S. Musta been pretty lux in its time.

I went and crawled around on it. What a wreck. Looks like it spent some time under water. Lots of rot in the cabin and upper works. Coachroof is very soft. It does have brackets for quad outboards. The brackets are deeply corroded and pitted. The hull extension that the brackets bolt to is full of water. It has been stripped of everything and the belowdecks areas are rather funky, to say the least. On the plus side, it is a nice big boat that could be rebuilt for a relatively small investment. It's just in a very sad state of affairs. Hate to see such a once regal boat on hard times. Like seeing a Ferrari wrapped around a tree.

As for repowering, I looked in the hole below the cockpit and there is room for inboard power. There's a rotted Northern Lights genny in there. Below the weather deck is a huge open area that would have housed the engines were it an inboard. Since it was powered with OBs, the space is empty except for tankage. It's about 15 long, beam width and 5 feet high.

It has two heads with showers P and S. Musta been pretty lux in its time.

Is it in someones yard in town or on 50?

It's in that marina at the Trappe side of the Rt 50 bridge over the Choptank. Y'know, the one next door to Composite Yacht ( Hi Martin!) Can't remember the name of the marina, but it's sitting next to the old ferry boat hulk. Can't miss it. When you see the sign for the Choptank Fishing Pier, that's your cue to prepare to turn into the road to the marina.

I had to climb up the stern. It's not locked up or anything, you can walk around on it and get inside.

It does have a huge foredeck with a cradle for a dinghy and even a crane for the tender. Sporty. And giant outriggers. And a tower. There's only one steering station on the flybridge, so able bodied owners only need apply.

I saw that thing rigged back in Oh..... maybe 1988-1990 somwhere in there. It was coneverted from diesel inboard to (I thought) five 250 yamaha outboards.

If I remember the rumors correctly it belonged to a senator or congressman from washington and when finished it would never plane off because the outboard props couldnt push enough water, just blow out when given the beans.

I never actually saw it run.

The job was done in Stock Island off Key West.

It is a foggy recolection, sorry but give me a break... I was 24 years old living in Key West. A little memmory loss is to be expected.