Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Underwater Transom Lights

Here's my take on the "one big hole" vs. multiple smaller holes question.

I recently installed a pair of Aqualights, 50w Xenon. My transom is solid glass (no wood), but I believe the "one big hole" is a better option. After cutting the hole-very slightly oversize- thorougly coat the inside edge of the exposed wood (or glass) with West System epoxy and let cure. This way, should the sealant (5200 or 4200) ever fail even a tiny bit, the moisture still cannot get to the wood core. You can't do this by just using self-tapping screws with the surface mount models- if the sealant fails, moisture is going to wick into the exposed wood core.

Thank you for the replies. I already drilled a 4" hole in the bottom to mount the thru-hull 1Kw transducer. I personally would rather have one thru-hull as opposed to many screw holes. The hole required for a thru-hull is not that big. I don't see the big deal about a 1" hole as opposed to a 3/16" hole. You are still drilling through the hull either way. I am going with less (holes) is more. Thank you again.

it sounds like you want full bronze lights with a single hole which is a good option, but you want to pay for the price of a composite or plastic light.

your right that majority of LEDs are cheap. however, UW light manufacturers use "binning" (selecting the brightest and highest quality of LEDs that are manufactured) thats a little more pricey. the majority of the cost isnt even the LED itself...they have to take a big chunk of bronze and have a CNC machine billet it down to a single fixture, then you have someone assemble it with the LEDS, Tritonium lens, water tight deutz connections, driver, etc...

THEN (most importantly) you have to warranty that product for 1-2 years and cough up a brand new light or driver god for bid it fails.

that is going to be an expensive light. and completely justifiable IMO. and by the way the mark up on UW lights is lower than any other marine product (at least that i've ever sold)

not sure why the plastic under the water line bothers you, but your best option (based on your attitude towards the price) is likely going to be amphibians or Scarab Chris' Lights.

In my opinion the surface mount light with two small screws is a better option because if you ever want to remove them for whatever reason (lets say you sell the boat but want to keep your expensive lights) the tiny screw holes are much easier to seal up.

To each it own though, thats why having choices is nice. Good luck on your instalation and post some pics.