Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Are you using your engine's Aux charging capability?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered the kit and it came with a built in fuse. I believe there are two versions, mine was about $100 from sim and from Yamaha.
I was also told by my local yamaha service manager that without the auxillary charging hooked up a problem can be created on the yamaha charging circut? Has anyone ever had this problem?

I ordered the kit and it came with a built in fuse. I believe there are two versions, mine was about $100 from sim and from Yamaha.

Must be a little different. No fuses on mine, just a wire in a sheath and two connectors on either end.....about $80 retail from the Yami dealer.

The last time I rigged this up, on the advice of the mechanic at the Yami shop, I made my own charging wire using the plug that gets removed from the charging lead. This time I was in a hurry to get offshore so plunked down the cash. Both have worked equally well.

Must be a little different. No fuses on mine, just a wire in a sheath and two connectors on either end.....about $80 retail from the Yami dealer.

The last time I rigged this up, on the advice of the mechanic at the Yami shop, I made my own charging wire using the plug that gets removed from the charging lead. This time I was in a hurry to get offshore so plunked down the cash. Both have worked equally well.

This is all news to me. Does my 2004 Yam F115 have a factory Aux charging lead someplace?

I would not do that. The AUX charge lead is designed for a house circuit of 12 volts. Most trolling motor applications are either 24 volt or 36 volt. However, if you have a 12 volt trolling motor, go for it, but do not tie the trolling battery and house battery together if you have both.

FWIW - For you Suzuki owner's out there- my 2007 Suzuki DF150 also features the aux charger. You have to move a fuse and add a charging wire to use. Plugged aux wire is pink and located under ECM. If you need detail on fuse placement PM me.

Pre-assembed charging wire setup runs around $80 to 90 bucks or you can fabricate one yourself.

You can run all your electronics and 'toys' on one battery, and use the other for motor starting only.

JC :1992_beer_cheer:

FWIW - For you Suzuki owner's out there- my 2007 Suzuki DF150 also features the aux charger. You have to move a fuse and add a charging wire to use. Plugged aux wire is pink and located under ECM. If you need detail on fuse placement PM me.

It has what now? I've never heard of any of the Suzukis having dual charging EXCEPT for the DF300 (and its sibling 250SS)... ?

Details / Link ?

Edit: Hmm, found this... Interesting. Looks like this exists for the DF150, 175, 250SS, and 300 - but not for the DF200, 225 or 250. (older engine designs)

http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr_08/_m/acces.../controlbox.pdf

Battery Isolator Lead Set

33830-96J00 Used for charging auxillary

battery DF150/175