Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

trolling ballyhoo with islander + circle hooks

Here you go guys

A wire nose ring is easyest James Take one of the lures you got from me and use that over a bally ask Fishnutz he has been hooking them up that way

Your lures I'll probably just rig to the provided hook. Just thought I might troll a naked ballyhoo, and keep one or two handy rigged as pitch baits....

Similar question, what about rigging a naked ballyhoo on a circle hook?

Going to NC next week, hoping to troll for Mahi and wahoos.

Where in NC will you be fishing ???

Cigar Minnows [CM] are everywhere, Sabiki them up - both live & dead CM will work .....

For dead CM either Hank Brown rigs or Pirate Plugs will work .....

Dolphins, Kings & a few Sails are in close sometimes less then 7 miles off the beach & feeding on CM ....

Not sure about the Wahoos ........

With that said we when hunting for Sails yesterday - trolling only Ballyhoo 25 to 30 miles off .......

Had the whole spread loaded with blue & white sea witch's, Striptease Dredge, Squid daisy chain, everything on top - 6 rod spread - only caught 2 Barracudas & 1 King ......... :1898_:

I am sure we over ran the Dolphins & knew it going in ........ :1925_:

While my buddy, Capt. John ran a half day trip & had 7 Mahi's, 3 Kings & 1 Sail - running only 3 lines - at times he could only get 2 lines out before hooking up - using live Cigar Minnows - less then 10 miles out & was back at the ramp by 11 am .........

That's why you hire Professionals ...... :239_fishing:

Hope this helps ............. ICM

Where in NC will you be fishing ???

Cigar Minnows [CM] are everywhere, Sabiki them up - both live & dead CM will work .....

For dead CM either Hank Brown rigs or Pirate Plugs will work .....

Dolphins, Kings & a few Sails are in close sometimes less then 7 miles off the beach & feeding on CM ....

Not sure about the Wahoos ........

With that said we when hunting for Sails yesterday - trolling only Ballyhoo 25 to 30 miles off .......

Had the whole spread loaded with blue & white sea witch's, Striptease Dredge, Squid daisy chain, everything on top - 6 rod spread - only caught 2 Barracudas & 1 King ......... :1898_:

I am sure we over ran the Dolphins & knew it going in ........ :1925_:

While my buddy, Capt. John ran a half day trip & had 7 Mahi's, 3 Kings & 1 Sail - running only 3 lines - at times he could only get 2 lines out before hooking up - using live Cigar Minnows - less then 10 miles out & was back at the ramp by 11 am .........

That's why you hire Professionals ...... :239_fishing:

Hope this helps ............. ICM

A few of the sails we have caught this year were on naked ballyhoo...

Pink and white Ilander Jr. have gotten us a marlin and 2-3 sails this year so far...not that that really matters, but just tossin' that out for ya.

as for rigging with circles, the only way I've seen a lure with ballyhoo rigged with circle hook was with the circle above the lure and hoo. Good for bills, maybe, but not sure about meatfish.

Naked ballyhoo with circles inline with bait or above head like you have probably seen are the only way I feel comfortable fishing with them while trolling.

I'll be running out of Beaufort Inlet. Hoping to get offshore one day for sure, might try for 2 days if the weather is super. How far out should I expect to see cigar minnows? Do they hang around buoys and such?

I might skip ordering hoos.

Yes they do hang around buoys, as well as live bottom or AR's will be holding CM.......

By all means always bring frozen baits with you just in case ........... ICM