Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Steering issues

Mine was doing the same thing - I found the fluid to be a bit low. I filled it up - and worked the steering wheel lock to lock - it seemed to smooth it out. Its not perfect but much better. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has already dealt with this.

Took boat out last night for the first time of the year last night. My hydraulic steering is catching, as i turn the wheel the engine doesn't respond smoothly, instead jerks through the turn.

Thoughts...

I had the same problem with mine, fluid was low and I filled it and worked out the air in the system. I seem to have this problem every spring, I think it may be my seals shrinking a bit in the winter months and leaking fluid.

Diffidently sounds like you have air in the system. Top the system off and check for leaks. Make sure all the connections are tight.

Since air was introduced you need to purge the steering system of air otherwise it will still be a little bumpy.

Diffidently sounds like you have air in the system. Top the system off and check for leaks. Make sure all the connections are tight.

Since air was introduced you need to purge the steering system of air otherwise it will still be a little bumpy.

How do i purge the system of air? just turning lock to lock?

Have a look here - there are PDF files for the different models giving instructions on how to do it. Im glad I looked as just turned the wheel may not be enough.

http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com/_downloads/49

Changed mine steering hoses this year and purge the system using the info from that site. Worked out great.