Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Thinking of a winter home in northern Florida

Looking for advice

We have a slip in Pirates Cove in the Outer banks of North Carolina and we are going to keep that slip. I want to be able to fish there from early summer to late fall

We are considering getting a place in northern Florida. I would bring my boat there for the winter.

We are considering northern Florida around St. Augustine as it is not as hot as the Miami area and we have been led to believe that life is not as fast or as violent as southern Florida

As a starting point we are looking at around $250,000 . . . having a dock or finger slip would be a dream come true

Fishing must be good and within a reasonable distance from shore i.e. 25 to 35 miles

We are not rejecting the Gulf coast but we know less about that area

Needs to be close to an airport

Any suggestions on where to look and where to avoid?

Many many thanks :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also might want to check out Brevard County. You can search the MLS here at www.brevardmls.com. Merritt Island should have waterfront properties in your price range. There is good fishing here both inshore and offshore. The Gulfstream is usually 25 miles or so from Port Canaveral. Good luck with your search and let me know if you need more info about this area. My wife can email you info on the area and more detailed information. Mark.

I live in St. Augustine but dont think it will fit your criteria. You won't get anything with a dock in that price range(except a doublewide on a canal in treasure beach 7 or 8 miles from the inlet). The best blue water trolling is 50+ miles offshore. Bottom fishing can be great in closer but with the red snapper closure who knows? In the late fall and winter the weather can be cold and windy. Some months you may only get 4 or 5 days where the weather will allow you to fish.

Palm Coast does have very affordable homes on canals. The big problem is you will have a 25+ mile ride to the inlet(ponce to the south or st augustine to the north). You will also have the cold windy weather and the long ride out once you have cleared the inlet.

Palm beach county would be a good choice. Granted you are not in North Florida but the weather can be 20+degrees warmer at night and 10-15 degrees warmer in the daytime. Definitely not too hot in the fall and winter. Clear the inlet and go 1 or 2 miles and you are in 100+ feet of water with lines in the water. Even if the wind is blowing 15-20 you can still fish since you don't have to go very far.

Another option might be fort pierce. (hutchinson island, jenson beach)

I would look at Port St. Lucie, Jensen Beach, Stuart area. All are within about 45 minutes of Palm Beach airport and 1.5 hours to Orlando. Gulfstream runs close, and prices are great right now in that area. Palm Beach County, a little more but a faster paced lifestyle than the Treasure coast. Are you looking for single family or condo? Might get some great deals on Hutchinson Island right now.

check out this website http://www.waterfront-properties.com/

I did a quick MLS search and found a bunch in your price range. I don't work for them and have never used them, but they seem to be pretty popular down here. You can enter your critera on their site such as Ocean Access, No fixed bridges, deep water, etc.

My folks used to have a condo at a place called Bouchelle Island in New Smyrna Beach. Used to take my boat down there and it is a great location. On the ICW, just south of Ponce Inlet. The condo association has a number of slips onthe ICW.

New Smyrna Beach is a good location with access to the ocean and to the Canaveral area. There are two airports you can use, either Daytona or Orlando. Orlando and all the "tourist" stuff is a little over an hour away which is good for visiting family.