Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What happened - missing line

I and several friends ordered line from Berkley (excuse me Pure Fishing) months ago. We got a UPS tracking number, but it shows the product never left the company. So what the heck is going on?

I know the company was purchased by the Jarden Grp in 07 but that shouldn't affect shipping product.

... does the seller issue a UPS tracking number or is it UPS that issues the UPS tracking number? .

Heavy users of companies like UPS or FedEx can get hardware/software packages that allow them to print waybills and labels. The tracking numbers are generated out of the carrier's computer and the driver logs them into his manifest at time of pickup. The shipment is logged every time it changes hands within the system until it is deliverred.

Either the driver stole the shipment (the odds are against this) or it never left the supplier. Some places make up the shipping materials when the order is procesed. This "package" would contain the waybill and and invoice. The warehouse uses this to asemble the order and reduces the paperwork done at the warehouse.

From time to time, the computer inventory is out of sync with the warehouse and they will either need to re-do the paperwork or hold the shipment until the back-order is cleared. The order may now have a new tracking number that hasn't been updated to your order's file or the order is forgotten on a shelf somewhere.

That's all I think I know about that.

Heavy users of companies like UPS or FedEx can get hardware/software packages that allow them to print waybills and labels. The tracking numbers are generated out of the carrier's computer and the driver logs them into his manifest at time of pickup. The shipment is logged every time it changes hands within the system until it is deliverred.

Either the driver stole the shipment (the odds are against this) or it never left the supplier. Some places make up the shipping materials when the order is procesed. This "package" would contain the waybill and and invoice. The warehouse uses this to asemble the order and reduces the paperwork done at the warehouse.

From time to time, the computer inventory is out of sync with the warehouse and they will either need to re-do the paperwork or hold the shipment until the back-order is cleared. The order may now have a new tracking number that hasn't been updated to your order's file or the order is forgotten on a shelf somewhere.

That's all I think I know about that.

So it's possible that they did not ship it, just gave a tracking number. Reefhunter....credit card purchase? Have you gotten anywhere with this?

Yes, a company can print their own UPS shipping labels, directly off of UPS.com. They have to be registered and an account set up with UPS. I print my own labels off and can schedule a pick up when the shipping info is submitted to UPS. If the shipment submitted and tracking number is given, then the tracking sequence can begin and you can get detailed shipping information, by tracking the UPS number.

Assuming you tried tracking the shipment on UPS website and it showed never being picked up (when UPS driver picks up, they scan the package and it shows pick up date/time on their website), then you can take the detailed shipping info (saying shipment was not scanned) from the website, back to the vendor and they should reship.

Definitly don't wait any longer though. You normally only have 60 days after the charge hits your card, that they are liable to cover your loss if the vendor doesn't come through. I'm sure it won't come to that though. Once they realise they haven't shipped the line they will most likely re-do the order of offer you a refund.

Good luck!

Definitly don't wait any longer though. You normally only have 60 days after the charge hits your card, that they are liable to cover your loss if the vendor doesn't come through. I'm sure it won't come to that though. Once they realise they haven't shipped the line they will most likely re-do the order of offer you a refund.

Good luck!

We've already contested it with Amex and they had not received a response from Pure as of last week. So now I need to find another line manufacturer for our specific needs. I put out feelers to Maxima and Ande this week.

Instead of you guys worrying about who can issue the UPS labels and tracking numbers, I thought you'd have some info about Berkley's operation and WHY they aren't shipping. I wonder how many dealers are having the same problem?

Sorry reefhunter but the confusion is all your own fault.

Your "what the heck is going on?" was just after your label comments. Your closing statement implied that you still had confidence in the supplier. You completely misdirected us.

Now that you have clarified things I hope you get a more applicable response.

Good luck!

Yep and I was just adding, by showing proof that UPS never picked up the package, the supplier would in turn, actually make the shipment was sent out. This statement has nothing do with the subject.

To stay in tune with the subject, Has this been resolved, did ya get your line, did they make good on it, did ya go to another vendor???????

Yep and I was just adding, by showing proof that UPS never picked up the package, the supplier would in turn, actually make the shipment was sent out. This statement has nothing do with the subject.

To stay in tune with the subject, Has this been resolved, did ya get your line, did they make good on it, did ya go to another vendor???????

Regardless of the UPS - yes we contested it and no we have not heard back from the company - all correspondence has ceased. Amex has reflected the charge back. "I put out feelers to Maxima and Ande this week." Maxima responded first, so they get the order and at a better price!