Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

fixed a Seastar helm issue today

How do you "clean the check valves"? My boat steers fine and the fluid is never low but if I turn the wheel slowwwwly to port nothing happens. I have to turn it quickly to port to get it to start turning. I hear a click inside the helm when it starts moving so I am pretty sure it is a sticking valve. My motor will fall to starboard on the trailer.

Assuming no by-pass valve problems m-ywedge.com make a product that keeps the outboard motor from falling to one side or the other. I use one and can recommend the product. Check out their website.

FWIW The MyWedge (i use it) keeps the engine from falling down in case of trim/tilt hydraulic failure and does nothing to keep the engine from falling "over" to port or stbd.

There are two check valves on either side of the helm pump. They can be accessed on both sides of the helm via a large straight slot cover about the size of a nickel. The check valve consists of a housing, spring, and ball bearing sealed by an o-ring. these can get gummed up or actually corroded if water/salt has entered the unit.

turning the wheel slowly with no engine movement unless you give it a quick jerk, is a classic symptom of a stuck check valve. prior to the jerk, the valve is stuck closed and not allowing the helm to push fluid down the line to move the cylinder/engine.

post-2300-1245778041_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

It sounds like you had quite an adventure with your Parker boat's hydraulic helm pump. Dealing with sticking check valves and the engine leaning over during trailering can indeed be a hassle. I'm glad to hear that you decided to invest in a new helm pump and that it seems to have resolved your issues. Smooth operation and the engine staying in place are crucial for a hassle-free boating experience.

Your tip about saving the old 90-degree fittings is practical advice for anyone considering a similar upgrade. It's always good to have these little insights shared within the boating community. Wishing you many smooth and trouble-free trips out on the water with your Parker! 

I just share the username, not affiliated