Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Non-Skid Repair

I have used Gibco products for years and done numerous repairs with it. It takes a little practice to get it right but it's not that hard to get decent results.

I would add a few things that to that repair procedure that I've learned over the years.

1. The mold release wax step. Apply 5-7 coats of wax, allow each coat to dry before buffing off.

2. The squeegee step. Use a squeegee that is wider than the repair area. If you use one that is narrower you might remove too much of the gelcoat when you squeegee this will leave a depression where the repair has been made. Use a good amount of pressure when squeegeeing to remove excess gel coat. The idea is to press down hard enough to register with the original gelcoat leaving just enough to fill the void area. If you don't you can form a ridge at the edge of the repair.

3. Remove the mold very carefully when the gel is still a little soft. Cleanup is easier and if you don't like the results you can scrape it up with a putty knife and try again.