Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Some info about Hondas and E-tecs

The carbon can build up on the Valve stems, seats and top of valves which take away needed clearances then, bang bang pow .

In most cases you will start to hear a pinging or poping [ pri detonation ] and notice a rough idle at about 400 to 500 hours if no ring free or other product is used .

Again , thank our Tree huggers for helping screw up our fuel .

I guess that carbon can either keep the valves from opening OR closing all the way as well as freezing up the rings or any other orifice on any motor .

Remember , if one decarbons their motor , one has to change the motor oil ASAP when done with with the procedure . With the normal mixture there is no problem with oil break down.

If you chose to use , YAMAHA RING FREE , READ the directions on the bottle and you will have no problems.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welder: I run Ring Free and Techron and have not had a problem. Carbon on the valve stems can reduce both intake and exhaust flow, but most intake valve build ups are oil based from loose valve guides. I've never had a problem with carbon buildup on valve seats because they simply can't hang on long enough to build up. The usual problem is that if they get thick enough they can also stay hot enough to preignite the mixture. They can also cause the rings to stcik in the ring gooves and not seal properly.

But no matter what, the engines I looked at had no evidence of unusual wear or carbon buildup. The valve stems were still in the head, with the springs and retainers looking normal. Once the head came off, you could see the carnage caused by the valve head being trapped between the piston and the cylinder head,

do ou mind shearing your findings????

Don't mind if I do emudryj,

If you have a new engine you can put additives in the fuel such as techron, everytime you fuel up and it doesn't hurt every once every now and then to run a more severe decarbon. Either something that you spray into each cyl and let sit, or even easier, run a remote tank or tanks with a product from BG called 44k. One can treats 14 gallons and will remove carbon in a hurry.

If it is a 2 stroke, once you knock it down you can mantain carbon control by using 2 stroke oil from BG that has the decarbonizing agent in the oil(it also flows @-30 deg). Its about $30 a gallon, but worth it.

Just a side note, 44K breaks down the binders that hold carbon together, causing the carbon to almost melt away. Not having big chuncks looking for a way out of your engine.

I don't work for BG, I'm just a true believer in all their products.

If you have a new engine you can put additives in the fuel such as techron, everytime you fuel up and it doesn't hurt every once every now and then to run a more severe decarbon. Either something that you spray into each cyl and let sit, or even easier, run a remote tank or tanks with a product from BG called 44k. One can treats 14 gallons and will remove carbon in a hurry.

I have two problems with additives like that:

- Nobody really knows if they actually do anything. Sure, you may add them all the time and have never had an engine failure... but I've owned a dozen engines and never had an engine failure either.

- Cost. Techron will set you back about $10 a bottle and looks like the BG product is more than that. Now let's say we follow your advice of adding techron every time you fuel up, and that a $10 bottle treats 20 gal of gas. Now we're at $0.50 per gallon. In Kerno's example, his motors went 2700 hours - let's be conservative and say they are averaging 7 gal/hour of fuel consumption. That's 19,000 gallons of fuel or $9500 of additives. That's 2/3rds the cost of a new motor!!

I have two problems with additives like that:

- Nobody really knows if they actually do anything. Sure, you may add them all the time and have never had an engine failure... but I've owned a dozen engines and never had an engine failure either.

- Cost. Techron will set you back about $10 a bottle and looks like the BG product is more than that. Now let's say we follow your advice of adding techron every time you fuel up, and that a $10 bottle treats 20 gal of gas. Now we're at $0.50 per gallon. In Kerno's example, his motors went 2700 hours - let's be conservative and say they are averaging 7 gal/hour of fuel consumption. That's 19,000 gallons of fuel or $9500 of additives. That's 2/3rds the cost of a new motor!!

Flot,

Techron and BG are much the same, just different concentrations. They do work, because I have seen the before and after with a bore scope.

As far as adding more cost to an already exspensive activity. Its like anything else, pay now or pay later. Like, do you use a stabilizer? Contemporary fuel goes bad in 60 days. Unless you use your boat alot, you risk having endless problems. Like a severe drop in octane and tarnish.

I perfer to avoid potential problems and not take calculated risks. Especially on the water.

I am also a non-believer in additives. I had a motorcycle that had deposits on the valve stems. I tested a bunch of the carbon removing fuel additives and nothing touched it in the least. I tried using it at recommended strength and double. On a bike its easy to see as you can see the stem by opening the throttle and looking down the carb. When I tore it down, I even let one soak in a jar full of the stuff and it didnt soften in the least.

I was recently listening to a radio show and they were talking about a class action law suit against these companies their claims because none of them work....at all. Techron was specifically mentioned. They were saying that there has never been an independent test showing they work as claimed. I love the Techron bottle with the before and after picture of the carboned up valve...BS.

The best way to decarb a motor is to set it at a high idle and spray water with a misting action into the intake. This is something that has been done for many many years and is extremely effective. Some of you have seen a cylinder on an old engine that had a blown head gasket and the cylinder that was taking a little coolant looks like new. Some racing engines use water injection to cool the intake charge and they are also pristine when when torn down because the water cleans the carbon away. Just make sure to run the engine awhile at operating temp after the procedure and change the oil if its a 4 stroke.

I agree with Mr Demenor on these additives, however I use Marine Sta-Bil every time I add gas. But as far as carbon removal goes, the water does seem to work.

My first car was a 1978 Monet Carlo with a 305 V-8. It was running like crap so my dad who is a gear head suggests pouring a little water down the carb throat at a high idle. I looked at him like he was nuts. However I did it and it worked. The exhaust blew out tons of white smoke and the engine ran much smoother after.

Though I wouldn't ever attempt that on these new outboards.

I'm with Chris on this one , I would NOT pour water into my motor . I have seen people run a 6 gallon can of mix [ Ring free ] and it looks like a fog bank then the motor runs better.

It is sad that a fuel issue is killing our motors :753_hammer_hitting_head:

KernO , how long does it take to get Gas to the pumps you guys use ? and how long does it sit before being used ?

And of course y'all are using good water separators .

Just trying to get a little more info here. :1992_beer_cheer:

Lester