Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Repairing Replacing Composite Stringers, Bulkheads

Interesting as we sell HD core also.

What price data are you using?

Thanks

Scott

I thought about not wasting my time on reel boating and decided to take a look again after two week habius. I see composite is still espounding his level over everyone that is actually out there building and using these products while the big boys factories are in a hibernation mode. Well here goes one more try? I buy 3/4 4x8 penske 20# for $175.00 being sold to a non professional ? And I am one of the suppliers better purchaser while some of the big names in boating are fighting to keep the doors open. Have a nice day scott

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought about not wasting my time on reel boating and decided to take a look again after two week habius. I see composite is still espounding his level over everyone that is actually out there building and using these products while the big boys factories are in a hibernation mode. Well here goes one more try? I buy 3/4 4x8 penske 20# for $175.00 being sold to a non professional ? And I am one of the suppliers better purchaser while some of the big names in boating are fighting to keep the doors open. Have a nice day scott

Hi Bly

Hope you are well.

You are getting good prices for High Density (HD) core. But with all due respect it is much more costly then Prisma for the same application.

Lets make a direct comparison.

We sell a Prisma Panel. This is a panel 2 “ thick it is 24” wide and 48” tall. It is already encased in 24 oz/sqyd high quality knit E-Glass fabric. The list price for this panel is $42.12.

post-4080-1248444417.jpg

Your panel is 4 x 8; so to be apples to apples we would need to provide 4 panels to give you the same coverage. So the price for this would be $168.48. So with your HD core you are paying a bit more, it is only ¾ thick and you still have to add the cost of fiberglass. Take a look at the price of 2” thick HD core and you will be looking at $350-$400 for a 4x8 sheet ! Even using the thin ¾ 20 lb board as a stinger your product before glass will be heaver then the Prisma stringer with glass.

A couple of points. Our panel is 2lb/cuft density and 2” thick. The HD panel is ¾” and 20 lb/cuft, density. So the foam is 10 X higher density then Prisma.

For stringers and bulkheads I believe the thicker panel is a better technical solution, For the stringer repair market we produce semi custom stringers 3” thick. The wider footprint distributes the load over a larger area of the hull thus reducing stress concentrations that can lead to gel coat and laminate cracking. Also the wider stringer cap allows us develop greater strength and stiffness to better support hull loads. We like to have the stringer installed with a cap of 0/90 oriented high-tech knit fiberglass tape over the top of the stringers and bulkheads. Many also appreciate the 3” cap as it proves a great landing for the deck and simplifies making deck panels.

The HD Core in the 20lb range that you are using for stingers and bulkheads is an excellent choice for Transoms and locations where you want good screw retention. We use HD core and other materials within our OEM stringers. These are located by CNC Fabric cutters that draw the location of wood and pipe onto our production parts. This way we are only putting the heaver more expensive materials where we need it. The picture below shows the CNC cut fabric in a tool. The circle locates a cross pipe that is located in the stringer prior to foaming.

post-4080-1248444426.jpg

Bye, If you like, please send me your address and I will send you some free samples of our product so you can try it first hand. As you are well versed in Composites, I would be interested in your opinion after you play with it first hand.

Thank You.

Scott

• 2 months later...
got anything for a 30' scarab sport stringer wise that is? thanks

Yes we all the materials you need for stringer, bulkhead, and transom restoration. We also have special fiberglass fabrics and materials for lamination.. You will need to add the resin !

Please call me to discuss or send me your address and I will send you some free samples.

321-252-4566

slewit@aol.com

Here is our newest product for repair. Tony Adams is in the YouTube video linked to our website. Unfortunately for the industry Tony passed away, but he is still teaching on this video that now has about 25,000 hits ! The product is in his memory- PRISMA TA. We just submitted this for IBEX's Innovation Award (our key industry trade show in Miami October 12-14).

www.preforms.com

PRISMA_TA.pdf

Scott

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Scott, I am using your bulkhead panels on my 233 formula and they are working out great. My wife picked up three more of them from you on Thursday afternoon. They are easy to cut and save a lot of work. On my next boat I'll definitely use the stringer system as well.

Thanks,

Mark Galloway

Hi Mark

Thank you for the feedback and the posting on the project forum. It really helps when people can see others use the product. As I said on the forum you are skilled at composites, nice work !

Happy that this worked out well for you and on the next boat lets discuss using our new PRISMA TA product for the stingers. These are 3" thick and produced to your height and dead rise angle. So a lot less customizing on your part.

Thank you again !

Scott Lewit

President

Compsys, Inc.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...