Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Recent outboards

When I joined THT trashing outboards was all the rage. The fichts and the opti pops.

Is it just me or are the newer models (all brands) performing better than predessors?

I am not reading much about any one brand with an issue.

By the way my 2000 Ficht is still running strong.

This is not intened to start bashing of brands.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a combination of things.

I think all the brands have come a long way with theri products. However, at the same time, I think we are seeing people move away from outboards for efficiency and technology reasons.

Although the sample size is small, I know of several people that have switched from outboards to single diesels for efficiency. At the same time, I know of plenty that have switched to gass inboards because they are less technologically advanced and people do not need to call MIT when they need service.

Just my casual observations on the matter.

I think all the brands have come a long way with theri products. However, at the same time, I think we are seeing people move away from outboards for efficiency and technology reasons.

Although the sample size is small, I know of several people that have switched from outboards to single diesels for efficiency. At the same time, I know of plenty that have switched to gass inboards because they are less technologically advanced and people do not need to call MIT when they need service.

True, when I throw a code there is very little I can do to troubleshoot without the software and a laptop.

Checking for cooling restriction is about it and then if there is one, fire it up and take a test run.

At the same time, I know of plenty that have switched to gass inboards because they are less technologically advanced and people do not need to call MIT when they need service.

Most late model gas inboards and stern drives have electronic ignitions and electronic fuel injection systems all monitored by an onboard engine computer, commonly called an ECU. A laptop or handheld device is needed to troubleshoot the systems, just like new high tech outboards. Your cars and trucks are the same way.

Before I repowered with new 150s back in February, I did a good bit of research on all the current outboards and started a thread on it over THaT way which got a lot of posts.

Based on what I learned there, I think that all the 150s out there right now are great motors. Not really a way to go wrong, IMO, just a question of which one suits you best.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you saying all gas and diesel inboards are still shade tree mechanic repairable? Today's diesels and gas engines are very sophisticated and controlled by electronic control modules and high pressure injection.

Today's four stroke outboards are also automotive based, so I'm not sure where you are coming from?

I think that all the Out Boards built in the last 5 or 6 years do fine , it's just personal preference on make and HP and of course it is fun to tease some about their motors [ Your Bait sucks and your boat is ugly ] and there boats.

As I have said many times before " Run what ya brung , Let's go fishing "

Just remember they are ALL man made and EVERYTHING will return to dirt.

I think the biggest thing to look at now days is Dealer support for the motor you choose .

back when THT first started "2001" was when all the outboard manufacurers were first switching over to Direct Injection. And they all had issues at first. Everything was blowing up, and all the inboard and sterndrive guys were laughing at the outboard guys.

Since then, the manufacturers have worked out all the bugs, 2 strokes are just as good as 4 strokes, and both are doing exceptionally well on fuel economy vs the old outboards.

I still hear people talking about those "gas guzzling smoky, stinky 2 strokes".... that was 10 years ago. You would think that stigma would be gone by now.

My boat has a sterndrive on it, my next boat will have an outboard

My carbed Yamaha 150 served me well other than water in the fuel issues from E10, and that had nothing to do with the quality of the engine. With regular maintenance most modern era outboards should run well now that the manufacturers have gotten a handle on E10 and have adapted to the latest EPA restrictions. There will always be the exception and the statistical number of weak units, but its a good time to own outboards.