Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Chesapeake Bay boater ignored

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an interest. I own and operate the meridian yacht owners forum, http://www.meridianyachtowners.com and live aboard full time on the Chesapeake. I am also closely connected to a fishing boat dealer in the area to be name later... if thats allowed? Anyway, if you you select someone else I will be directing people your way... been a fan of wiley since 2002 :)

One of the most dangerous sources of pollution that is choking the Bay is runoff from Chicken waste products: manure, feathers etc. The chicken producers have been very good at killing any legislation that would force them to do something about cleaning up their act, so the Bay continues to suffer. This is just a part of the problem of course. With a Watershed that extends from the Adirondacks to the Blue Ridge across 10 states, the effort to coordinate between all interested parties is staggering.

I was only trying to be glib with my previous statement.

It truly is sad, the bay is in bad shape and it needs to change, it is a national treasure that all surrounding states should be working together on in order to improve its condition.

It reminds me of a day trip me and my wife took a couple years ago to St Michaels maritime museum. One of the exhibits was on John Smith, and there was a plaque with one of his quotes, i believe this was the one....

“A few Bevers, Otters, Beares, Martins and minkes we found, and in divers places that aboundance of fish, lying so thicke with their heads above the water, as for want of nets (our barge driving amongst them) we attempted to catch them with a frying pan: but we found it a bad instrument to catch fish with: neither better fish, more plenty, nor more variety for smal fish, had any of us ever seene in any place so swimming in the water, but they are not to be caught with frying pans.”

Captain John Smith, 1608

He also had this to say about the bay....

"Within is a country that may

have the prerogative over the most pleasant places of Europe, Asia, Africa, or America. for large

and pleasant navigable rivers: heaven and earth never agreed better to frame a place for means of

habitation . . .”

I can only imagine the beauty and abundance of the bay as Mr Smith saw it 400 years ago.