Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Tach/Compass Location

I am in the process of adding some gauges to my console. According to the Faria website, a Tach should not be placed closer than 18" to a compass. Why is this? My console is not setup so that I can get the 2 more than 18" away from each other. What to do, any suggestions?

You need to keep the two away from each other as the magnet will throw the gauges off. Before installing the compass, set it on your dash and watch the needle as you move the compass around. if the compass is far enough away from the gauges, then the needle will point north. Hope this is helpful.

An easy way to check to see if this is a problem is to place the compass on the dash where you want to mount it. Once the dial settles, note the compass heading. Then one at a time, turn on other electrical items. After each one, watch the compass to see if the heading changes. If it doesn't, you're good to go. To test for deflection caused by the tach, start the engine and check before/after compass headings. If it DOES change after you turn on an item, you can try either moving the compass a bit or see if you can re-route the wiring under the dash further away from the compass.

FWIW - My tach is just over 12" from my compass and it has no impact at all. In addition, I have a 10" plotter and a 5" FF immediately to either side of the compass - also with no impact to the compass heading. While your mileage may vary, it shows that it CAN be done.

Ken