Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

hull lights opinions wanted

Well ive been thinking about getting some hull lights im trying to figure out how bright these will be. Im thinking about installing 4 . I know very little about lights thought id do led but from the results ive read not sure these are 49.00 each so 200.00 for 4 a real ggod price bulbs are replacable.

All stainless steel construction (marine grade 316)

12 Volt, 35w, 2.9 Amps

Bulb: 30° Beam

1300 Lumens

Lab Rated Bulb Life: 3500 Hrs

Length Overall: 5-1/4"

Flange Diameter: 2-1/4"

Mounting Hole Diameter: 1-1/2"

Simple thru-hull style installation

Easy access from back side for bulb maintenance

Safety Seal Design Prevents Water Intrusion in the Event of Glass Breakage

Terminal for Bonding Wire

Standard MR8 bulb

I have been looking of installing underwater lights on my boat for some time, but I have been looking at LED. From what I have read the OceanLED stuff is the best but the price is very steep. I have been leaning towards ordering a set from scarabchris over on THT.

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/styles.html

The lights look well built and LED will theoretically last longer and will diffidently consume less battery power.

Do you REALLY want to drill four inch-and-a-half holes in your transom? And do you REALLY fully trust the claim of no water intrusion in the event of broken glass?

On top of that, look at your total amps (2.9 amps x 4 lights) - - that's a pretty heavy draw, and will run your battery down fairly quickly.

LEDs will also last a whole lot longer than the incandescent bulbs; have you looked into the replacement cost of the MR8 bulbs? :504_shrugging:

The decision, obviously, is yours; just pointing out some potential pitfalls of the ones you're considering. Kinda reminds me of that old adage "Penny wise and pound foolish".

Frank mentioned scarabchris "over on THT". Chris is a very active participant right here at RB. Drop him a PM, or he may come along and fill you in on more of the many benefits of LEDs vs incandescents.

Do you REALLY want to drill four inch-and-a-half holes in your transom? And do you REALLY fully trust the claim of no water intrusion in the event of broken glass?

On top of that, look at your total amps (2.9 amps x 4 lights) - - that's a pretty heavy draw, and will run your battery down fairly quickly.

LEDs will also last a whole lot longer than the incandescent bulbs; have you looked into the replacement cost of the MR8 bulbs? :504_shrugging:

The decision, obviously, is yours; just pointing out some potential pitfalls of the ones you're considering. Kinda reminds me of that old adage "Penny wise and pound foolish".

Frank mentioned scarabchris "over on THT". Chris is a very active participant right here at RB. Drop him a PM, or he may come along and fill you in on more of the many benefits of LEDs vs incandescents.

bulbs are 3.50 a peice amp draw not a concern I have an 8d battery they will be run off of. main concern in brightness.

which will be brighter 4 halogens 35 w or 2 led I dont mind the leds

bulbs are 3.50 a peice amp draw not a concern I have an 8d battery they will be run off of. main concern in brightness.

which will be brighter 4 halogens 35 w or 2 led I dont mind the leds

35W Halogen ones will not be very bright, and you will have to make sure you don't EVER turn them on while the boat is out of the water, or up on a place. They will overheat and burn out the bulb, damaged the socket and could crack the lens.

However, for the price you found these, you're not going to find any LED lights, or any LED lights that will last more then a few months.

You may be able to find some "closeouts" or "last year's models" from some of the top LED brands for very cheap if you call around. At this past Dania Marine Flea Market we had some OceanLED Thru-Hull LED models that used to sell for $995.00 and we were selling them for $150/each just because they were discontinued.

i'm not sure what the RISK is that everyone is talking about. if you've ever seen an underwater light and held it in your hand, its more substantial than any thru hull seacock in every boat in the world. i've been installing ocean led's and seavision uw lights for a long time, not one drop of water intrusion ever or experience with the "risk"

i'm not hands on familiar with chris' lights, but i took a look at them online, from what i gather, they are very reasonably priced for the performance. i'm guessing that chris' lights only need a 1/4" hole for the wire as apposed to the 1" ocean led or the 4" HID, Halogen, or Xenon lights....to the OP, i would give chris a call.