Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Bad Day

From the looks of it they really weren't prepared. Cheapest life vests you can get. And the guy wearing the throwable cusion with it on his back.... smack your head and your face down in the water. I guess they didn't have enough vests for everyone on the boat......

I noticed that...just didn't wanna kick 'em while they're down...but it does look pretty bleak in the PFD department...good thing they didn't have to spend anytime in the drink...the guy w/the blue throwable woulda had a tough time...glad all are well...

I noticed that...just didn't wanna kick 'em while they're down...but it does look pretty bleak in the PFD department...good thing they didn't have to spend anytime in the drink...the guy w/the blue throwable woulda had a tough time...glad all are well...

Google "no plug at Stellwagen Bank", and you will find some answers to why it sank.

• 2 weeks later...

New here and surely hate to kick a man when down also, but the PFD observation does raise concern. Food for though, a Nerf Football can stop a pretty good leak. One of the foam noodles are worth their weight in gold in this situation for patching holes, personal floation, signaling for help, and Great Stuff Foam in a can will set under water.

Lastly, I feel certain that while this event was unfolding they were not talking about how great it was to have saved a few bucks on those $5 PFDs. Kinda like Insurance when you need it boy do you need a good policy.

• 6 months later...

That top photo also reminded me of the football player(s) who took a small craft offshore in the Florida Keys. Condolences to family and friends.

I recall reading that the reason boat went under was because they had an anchor line tied to stern. I believe they were trying to force an anchor off the bottom.

Boat filled. Then sank/flipped.

One lesson for all of us is not to tie anchor line off stern in those circumstances.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article987524.ece

Edited by Canuck