Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

what would you buy?

Naw Redneck aint no bad word. I am one part time. The rest of the time, I'm a smart-ass ######, to borrow from Lewis Grizzard.

And Joe, on your original question, I once bought a 15 year old boat with v-drives pushed by twin Chrysler 318s. Never had the first sign of any trouble. I guess in my mind, the v-drives are simpler drive system. Less to go wrong. The biggest drawback from I/Os is that you cannot direct the thrust, but that's not such a big deal when you have two engines.

My $0.02

Naw Redneck aint no bad word. I am one part time. The rest of the time, I'm a smart-ass ######, to borrow from Lewis Grizzard.

And Joe, on your original question, I once bought a 15 year old boat with v-drives pushed by twin Chrysler 318s. Never had the first sign of any trouble. I guess in my mind, the v-drives are simpler drive system. Less to go wrong. The biggest drawback from I/Os is that you cannot direct the thrust, but that's not such a big deal when you have two engines.

My $0.02

I guess now we know that "w h i t e b o y" is a bad word too.

yeah I've always thought inboards were mechanically more simple - wonder why there are not more of them. The v-drive shouldn't be much more complicated but it does have theextra gear - hadn't thought about the issue of getting to a rear seal. Simplicity is why I went for the Cummins over the other two.

The only drawback for me is it takes away the space for the mid-cabin.

yeah I've always thought inboards were mechanically more simple - wonder why there are not more of them. The v-drive shouldn't be much more complicated but it does have theextra gear - hadn't thought about the issue of getting to a rear seal. Simplicity is why I went for the Cummins over the other two.

The only drawback for me is it takes away the space for the mid-cabin.

With IOs ya can pick up yer out drives and avoid dingin' up yer wheels on rocks as well as directional corntrol (as has been mentioned).

As ta keep it simple stooopid: inboards are very simple straight forward, n' therefore reliable unless the water gets a bit shallow, (don't those rivers get shallow ocaisionally: Joe)?

Me thinks ya need twin black boat anchors fer yer power, (since yer in fresh water n' all).

Me over priced $.02 JR

######.

yep it's a band word.

Wiley - help a ###### out!

Most filter software also edits out saltwater and woodcock.

The words I put to test are salt water and woodco ck just as a test. Funny how totally ok words get edited.

I guess red neck is ethnic :504_shrugging:

Well guess they are ok :)

I'm a Rdeneck and proud to admit it .

Pull an oil sample on both and have a reputable lab (most larger CAT dealers have their own top drawer oil/fluids lab in house) run the tests for you. It was pretty cheap when I retired 2 years ago and will give you more quality info on whats going on than most anything else. CAT called it SOS and they offered kits with little 4 oz. plastic jars, hand pumps and plastic tubing. They have lots of good printed material describing the process and it is probably on line at CATs website. Im sure other companies have oil labs too, but CATs is pretty impressive. Most folks, with an engine they operate commercially has this program in place as SOP at every oil change. Good boat brokers welcome it, bad ones don't. I wouldn't buy a boat, car, truck or most anything with an engine without doing this test. Just my 2 cents worth. Almost forgot, Rednecks are good as I am one too.