Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Catch & Release Sometimes a Good Idea

Commercial St. Petersburg fisherman Solomon Rodney went for a 14-day fishing trip in his boat Bold Venture in the Gulf of Mexico near Panama City late last month.

He caught 5,000 pounds of grouper and an 8-foot-long missile in his longline, reports the St. Petersburg Times.

Rodney figured he'd keep the inert missile as a souvenir.

Only one problem: It was live. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

Seems that part of the gulf is used by the U.S. Air Force and Navy for weapons testing and training. Rodney said he often sees missiles while fishing in that area. "I hear them exploding over my head all the time," he said.

After Rodney came ashore, emergency officials summoned a bomb squad from MacDill Air Force Base to a marina off the Tom Stuart Causeway where Rodney had docked.

Rodney, 37, said the missile had a hole in the back, making it look like it had already exploded, so he thought it was safe. He didn't think there was any danger of it exploding on land after it had bounced around on the roof of his 41-foot vessel for 10 days.

"If it was going to explode, it was going to explode a long time ago," he said. Rodney said the MacDill people told him not to pick up any more missiles. "They told me if you find another one, just let it go," he said.

We hope this fishman heeds their advice. Or discovers the joy of fly-fishing. :239_fishing:

This story HAS GOT TO HAVE PHOTOS!!

Your wish is my command!

missile-thumb.jpg

Photo: [DIRK SHADD | Times] Solomon Rodney, a commercial fisherman, found a live, U.S.-made air-to-air missile, inset, in the Gulf. He hooked the missile about 50 miles off Panama City and brought it ashore Monday on Madeira Beach, where a bomb squad from MacDill Air Force base was summoned to dismantle it.

:504_shrugging:

Afterthought: If he was out 14 days in a 41 foot boat, where/how did he safely store 5,000 pounds of grouper?? Much as I love grouper, I'm not so sure I'd eat any of his catch! :1925_:

And don't you think that if he had missiles "exploding over his head all the time", he'd be prudent to find another fishing ground??? :471_confused_face: