Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Nauticus Smart Tabs

I have the SS version on my boat and they are great, they do everything advertised. Most with the composite tabs seem to like them as well. I have heard it said that if you are going to run real fast in rough water that you are better off with the stainless version, I do not know that for a fact. They will get you on plane quicker and with minimal bow rise, you will be able to stay on plane at slower speeds, better fuel mileage, low speed wander goes away, makes the boat ride better in rough water, speed should increase a little, there are more benefits just can't think of them right now. I would say call John at Nauticus, tell him what boat, motor you have and how you will use it and he will advise you on which would be better. John is the owner and inventer of Smart Tabs, he probably will be the one to answer the phone, if not he has others that can help. The

phone number is: 800-233-0194 I don't think anyone here sells them, I know that iboats dot com does and if the composites are good for your use they have a good price on blems. Smart Tabs are an excellant product with excellant support. I have no interest in Smart Tabs other than I am a satisfied user.

I just dont understand going through the aggravation of mounting tabs that you dont have control over. Real tabs do so much more (like retract as to not effect fuel consumption/performance when not needed and adjust to balance load).

I will not argue the fact that helm controlled tabs are possibly better and will do things that Smart Tabs will not do. I can say as fact that before Smart Tabs my standard run from home to the beach in St Catherines Sound , approx 1 hr each way, I would consume 14 gal of gas, with Smart Tabs I now consume 11 to 12 gal gas. There are quite a few other benefits of Smart Tabs some of which I did mention in my other post. For the price/benefits I can not justify the price of helm controlled, I have never had a situation where I really think helm controlled would have been better, I stays in the rivers and sound and a few lakes I have been to, no outside in the Atlantic, my boat has no business being there. I am very satisfied with what I have as they do everything they are advertised to do. If you go to the Nauticus Inc website and read what they claim I will say Smart Tabs does it all and for a very good price whether you go SS or Composite.

I'm considering adding these smart tabs to my Tidewater 1800 baymax. I'm hoping these will improve holeshot and keep me on plane at lower speeds.

I'm not sure whether to go with the original stainless steel tabs or with the newer composite SX tabs

All opinions welcome

thanks

Joe

I put the SS version on a 16' carolina skiff and improved the hole shot and slow speed plane ability immediately. Your choice as to plastic or SS......

:605_thumbs_up:

One boat I bought/sold last summer was 19' and had an 85 Yamaha on it. It took forever to get on plane. From a forum suggestion I put on the Nauticus SX 60's and what a difference. They also relieved a porposing problem the boat had at cruise. They so impressed my buddy we put a set on his 19' Hydrasport with a 90 Johnson. We had the same results with his boat. Also, nothing to have to fool with. I can imagine on your bigger boats needing to balance loads and such, but for your boat I think these tabs will be ideal. I can save you $25 on a set...pm me...

No question they will help plane earlier and help keep on plane at lower RPM and that can certainly improve economy.

The downside of these tabs that can't be adjusted underway is that they would tend to do the wrong thing at the wrong time. If, for instance, the passenger load shifts toward one side , the tab on that low side will tend to give and the high side extend to limit providing opposite of optimum effect. Same in strong crosswind . Likewise, heading downsea in big waves most planing boats are safer with more bow-up attitude, but these tabs hold the bow down into the lower back of the next wave. That just doesn't sound that "Smart" to me.