Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

I'm trying to move to Reel Boating but...

First off, I registered the day they opened (or close to it), and I am not flaming this site whatsoever, more of a technical issue I'm having.

This site loads SOOOO SLOOOOW on my computer, that I open the home page and sometimes it takes just long enough for me to close the window and go elsewhere.

I'm not sure what the deal is, I live in the sticks, so high speed is out, I have a Satellite internet connection that is somewhere between dial up and roadrunner.. But it shouldn't take that long to load should it?

I am simply comparing it to another site we've all been a part of that that site loads so much faster on my system.

Wish I knew why.

Hey, its not like I'm a feather in the cap of a message board or anything like that, but I get frustrated waiting for the homepage to load and I move on.

Any one have any suggestions??

First off, I registered the day they opened (or close to it), and I am not flaming this site whatsoever, more of a technical issue I'm having.

This site loads SOOOO SLOOOOW on my computer, that I open the home page and sometimes it takes just long enough for me to close the window and go elsewhere.

I'm not sure what the deal is, I live in the sticks, so high speed is out, I have a Satellite internet connection that is somewhere between dial up and roadrunner.. But it shouldn't take that long to load should it?

I am simply comparing it to another site we've all been a part of that that site loads so much faster on my system.

Wish I knew why.

Hey, its not like I'm a feather in the cap of a message board or anything like that, but I get frustrated waiting for the homepage to load and I move on.

Any one have any suggestions??

There are ads that have to load, so that may be an issue on slower connections.

I would have to guess that it has something to do with your type of connection unless you are running hardware more ancient than mine. I'm running Firefox on an OLD Mac (OS X 10.2.8) over DSL. I'm starting to run into websites that don't load properly and scripts that don't run properly or at all, but ReelBoating loads fast for me. Overall, I think that Wiley has done a great job of keeping this board streamlined :605_thumbs_up:

I know just enough about satellite-based internet to be dangerous. Isn't your down-link from the satellite and your uplink over a dial-up number? If that is the case, then I would think that all of the redirects for downloading ads would greatly slow page loads on any site that uses ads or other external content. Not trying to blast you internet connection, just thinking out loud to hopefully spur an idea (hopefully without muddying the water too much).

I would have to guess that it has something to do with your type of connection unless you are running hardware more ancient than mine. I'm running Firefox on an OLD Mac (OS X 10.2.8) over DSL. I'm starting to run into websites that don't load properly and scripts that don't run properly or at all, but ReelBoating loads fast for me. Overall, I think that Wiley has done a great job of keeping this board streamlined :605_thumbs_up:

I know just enough about satellite-based internet to be dangerous. Isn't your down-link from the satellite and your uplink over a dial-up number? If that is the case, then I would think that all of the redirects for downloading ads would greatly slow page loads on any site that uses ads or other external content. Not trying to blast you internet connection, just thinking out loud to hopefully spur an idea (hopefully without muddying the water too much).

I had sat in Iraq and there were times that the connection was bad, but it was moslty weather related.

You may have an error like this, using IE7

error.JPG

I've noticed that any sites I use that have google ads or video seem to load slow on my old laptop at my shop. I'm not sure if it's the laptop or the connection. The laptop is about 8 years old and the connection is DSL.

It is frustrating but I just live with it. One day I'll pull the trigger and get a new machine. Then I'll know how slow the connection is.

At the house, a few years ago I went from dial-up to cable broadband . Kind of like going from a Model T to a Corvette. Dial-up was horrible. I used it mainly for my brokerage account. If I ran out of all other options I would use it to find something on the net but thats about it.

Your problem is going to be the latency involved in your satellite internet connection. I use to install satellite internet, and was one of the first few installers here in NC.

When you request a webpage the request travels 22000 miles to the satellite, back down to the network operations center, to the server, and back to the network operations center, and back to the satellite, and finally back to you. This is where you are experiencing the delay. The google ads do not help because they are loaded after the initial web page request.

Checkout dslreports.com and go into the satellite forum to see if you can tweek your setting on your system.

Also you may can try the lo-fi version of this sight ( http://reelboating.com/forums/lofiversion/....php/t1721.html ) and that may help some.

David