Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Adding Gauges

What started as simply adding a black panel of Starboard (to rearrange existing gauges) has morphed into now wanting to add some gauges. After input from various sources, I am thinking about adding a Tach, Oil Pressure and Water Temp. gauges. I currently only have a fuel gauge, tilt/trim and compass. I have some questions.............please bear with me.

1. Is this a do it yourself job? I built most of my own house and am

a pretty competent handyman but have not done anything like this

before.

2. Are all gauges created equal? Will any gauges work w/a 70 HP,

2-stroke Yamaha?

3. When you buy gauges do they come with all you need (except

connectors, etc)?

4. Are there any other gauges I should consider? I can't see needing

a speedo as I don't care how fast I am going, may eliminate the

tilt/trim gauage as I can see the motor and will probably add a

new fuel gauge.

Am I forgetting anything, anything I should consider? Thanks for everything folks!

What started as simply adding a black panel of Starboard (to rearrange existing gauges) has morphed into now wanting to add some gauges. After input from various sources, I am thinking about adding a Tach, Oil Pressure and Water Temp. gauges. I currently only have a fuel gauge, tilt/trim and compass. I have some questions.............please bear with me.

1. Is this a do it yourself job? I built most of my own house and am

a pretty competent handyman but have not done anything like this

before.

2. Are all gauges created equal? Will any gauges work w/a 70 HP,

2-stroke Yamaha?

3. When you buy gauges do they come with all you need (except

connectors, etc)?

4. Are there any other gauges I should consider? I can't see needing

a speedo as I don't care how fast I am going, may eliminate the

tilt/trim gauage as I can see the motor and will probably add a

new fuel gauge.

Am I forgetting anything, anything I should consider? Thanks for everything folks!

I will give you the information I learned for my dash redo.

Here is the before and after pictures

Before

015.JPG

After

kingair-albums-console-redo-picture9870-

I went with Faria gauges that were used on a 2008 Trophy walk-around and I was able to use 2 gauges

Tach, gas and volts on sw 1

Speed, Trim and temp on sw2

The harness should have a wiring diagram that shows the leads and you can use one ground to each gauge and a common positive for the lights.

There are some great books on wiring 12 volt boat systems...there's more to it than should be covered in a forum post...yes you should have a tach, fuel gauge (fuel-flow meter if you go offshore), volt-meter, temp and pressure also...if you have or will have a GPS unit, it will give you a better speed reading than a speedometer...

Good info guys.......thanks! Kingair, those look like multi-function gauges. Where did you get those. I like the fact that it gives you all the info you want/need but does so with only 2 gauges.

Good info guys.......thanks! Kingair, those look like multi-function gauges. Where did you get those. I like the fact that it gives you all the info you want/need but does so with only 2 gauges.

I ordered them from Trophy. They come standard on a 2001 1903 CC. Here is the link. They can be ordered through a Trophy dealer.

http://www.trophyboatparts.com/2001/1903fe...fe8.htm#1035232