Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

VHF radio

I have a new west marine radio and new motors. The radio has started beeping and flashing a "high battery" warning. All the other electronics seem to work fine. The voltage gauges ( suzuki sms and garmin 3010 chart plotter} show the voltage varying between 14.2v to 15 volts. for both motors.

Do I have a bad radio or bad voltage regulators on both of the 2008 140df suzuki's? Any input would be appreciated.

thanks

I have a new west marine radio and new motors. The radio has started beeping and flashing a "high battery" warning. All the other electronics seem to work fine. The voltage gauges ( suzuki sms and garmin 3010 chart plotter} show the voltage varying between 14.2v to 15 volts. for both motors.

Do I have a bad radio or bad voltage regulators on both of the 2008 140df suzuki's? Any input would be appreciated.

thanks

The DF140 tends to run with high 14's for charging voltage. This is the normal range for that motor. The engine's computer also monitors this voltage and would throw an error if it *actually* went to high. Considering that the other instruments show what amounts to a normal voltage, it seems the radio has a low set point for over voltage. Check the radio's manual to see if there is a way to raise it or at least shut it off. You may also find that a noise filter placed on the radio's power wires could fix this too.

That said, there is a slight possibility that you *do* have a problem. Poor connections between the battery and the engine can sometimes cause higher than normal voltages - since the battery tends to load the alternator down a bit. So you may also want to make sure you have CLEAN and tight connections on ALL battery connections in your boat.

Ken

• 1 month later...
Thanks, Ken. I'll check all the battery connections. I have all the electronics run off a house battery connected to the starboard motor

with a voltage sensing relay. Could that relay be bad?

I don't think its the relay, the voltage sensor on the outboard should not allow over charging even if it was a direct connect. I would buy a cheap voltage/multi gauge and take a direct reading at the battery and also at the radio.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2103174

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_T...astFilter=Price