Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

VHF Radio

I am planning on purchasing a VHF marine radio, dash mount. I was wondering what others had and what you liked or disliked about them.

I just purchased an Icom 504. I have not used it, but the built in hailer and foghorn was a good feature and the price was right.

I just purchased an Icom 504. I have not used it, but the built in hailer and foghorn was a good feature and the price was right.

I've used both SH and ICOM. Either way you can't go wrong.

I have two ICOM 504's that have been put to the test ..... rained on (heavy at times), saltwater spray, mic's banged around (everyday stuff offshore) and have never missed a beat. The displays are easy to read and the functionality easy to unbderstand and use. My 1st and only mate, my wife, has no problem using them. The sound quality is great.

Important ..... whatever brand you buy connect it to a good VHF antenna. Antenna quality makes a difference. A good antenna can make an OK VHF good. :605_thumbs_up:

Here's what ICOM 504 sound like.

Offshore ........ in second sequence

http://albums.phanfare.com/4892322/2934439...mageID=51627296

Sound Quality ......

http://albums.phanfare.com/4892322/3341636...mageID=62683297

I have two ICOM 504's installed on my Whaler. One is the standard flush mount the other is the rear mic version ... here are some pics.

ICOM 504 Rear Mic Version ..... installed under my helm area. It uses an ICOM Command Mic 3.

ICOMComandMic32Install.jpg

ICOM Command Mic 3

ICOMComandMic31.jpg

ICOMComandMic3.jpg

Helm area of my 210 Ventura

ICOMComandMic32Install1.jpg