Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

CT SW License

It's a done deal. From The New London Day.....

Home »Sports News »Local Sports Saltwater licenses are now available

By Tim Coleman Published on 6/5/2009

Print This Send Correction

Last year fishermen started their season with escalating gas prices. This season they find they will need a license to fish in saltwater in state waters. Here's what we were able to put together from various local sources.

All anglers will need the license by June 15, paying $10 for resident and $15 for non-resident. If that sounds a bit rushed, also consider the bill to approve the license went through the state house, senate and governor's office in one day.

You can obtain the saltwater license at any place now selling freshwater licenses. Such include town halls, some tackle stores or visits Web site at CTDEP.gov., though as of Thursday the web site had only provisions for resident, nothing yet for people that live in other states. Still unanswered at this point is whether other nearby states will honor a Connecticut license if, say, one runs to Montauk from New London?

All anglers hope the monies generated by this move will go to improve fishing but it's highly unlikely that a license will do much to bring back a spring mackerel run to Long Island Sound or improve shore access.

• 3 weeks later...
Last I checked it wasn,t signed yet.But you can but you can buy them on line or at tackle shops already.

Still not signed or required......

Here's an update directly from DEP:

Connecticut Marine Waters Fishing License: Update

June 23, 2009

1. A marine waters fishing license is currently NOT required.

2. The bill that establishes a marine waters fishing license has been passed by the legislature but will not be effective unless and until the Governor signs it into law.

3. If and when the Marine Waters Fishing License (MWFL) bill becomes law, Environmental Conservation Police efforts with respect to the license will be focused on education and outreach during the remainder of 2009.

Still not signed or required......

Here's an update directly from DEP:

Connecticut Marine Waters Fishing License: Update

June 23, 2009

1. A marine waters fishing license is currently NOT required.

2. The bill that establishes a marine waters fishing license has been passed by the legislature but will not be effective unless and until the Governor signs it into law.

3. If and when the Marine Waters Fishing License (MWFL) bill becomes law, Environmental Conservation Police efforts with respect to the license will be focused on education and outreach during the remainder of 2009.

I don't have a problem with 15 or 20 bucks for a salt water licence if the money benefits the LIS. I do have a problem if it goes into the general fund to be pissed away by the politcos. Another concern is the fact that when I fish the sound, in a very few miles I'm in CT, RI, and NY waters. Will I be required to spend big bucks on RI and NY non-resident licences?

I don't have a problem with 15 or 20 bucks for a salt water licence if the money benefits the LIS. I do have a problem if it goes into the general fund to be pissed away by the politcos. Another concern is the fact that when I fish the sound, in a very few miles I'm in CT, RI, and NY waters. Will I be required to spend big bucks on RI and NY non-resident licences?

It was signed on 7/1. it is now required.

It's only a tax. Nothing more. It doesn't matter where the money goes, they wash funds around all the time.

With or without the tax, no more money will go to marine enforcement or conservation. none. zip. zilch. It never would have even under the best wording proposed.

The first time I see some 16 yr old kid get a ticket I call the ACLU. Most of the professionale I have spoken to have no interest in enforcing this tax.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm happy that some have no problem with a salt water license but I do. I am fortunate enough to have a small boat that I use mainly to fish but I also use it to socalize. This license means that if my sister and her family visit me, I can't take them fishing without first securing an out-of-state license for them. Please understand, I am not talking about die-hard fishermen, they may only fish once or maximum twice each year. I have others in this same scenaro, a grandchild over the age of 16 (I have 4 in that group), a family friend or two. This whole thing of taxing and regulating God given resources in this manner stinks. This is as polite as I can put it. To me, I have lost my liberty.

I would like to know how others handle this as I am sure that I am not unique in this sense.

I am at the point that I may just give up my boat and fishing after more years than I care to enumerate.

Nick

Edited by levittownnick