Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What are my rights on the water?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if they saw you fishing or you included yourself in any kind of bag limit..

That's what I was thinking, too.

Ralph- your best bet in that situation would probably be to say "I was just driving the boat" as long as the number of fish on board didn't exceed the limits for the other two guys.

my question here, with mention above of the feds removing a battery or other similar equipment in order to access part of the boat to do an inspection, does that not step over the line as far as interfearing with safe operation of the boat. what if that battery is the only thing allowing you to start the boat. to me it is very unsafe to have a disabled boat at sea for any reason. Also, what if it was running a bait pump, are they legally allowed to kill your tank of bait just to check your bildge?

You are required by law to cooperate with safety inspection, if you dont the officer may board your boat to check for it without a warrant. Fisheries inspection the officer just needs Probably Cause you have been fishing. If you refuse, that might take a warrant (been 15 years since I was in Marine Enforcement) but for sure you can be detained while a warrant is gotten and you will surely be holding a ticket for the slightest violation whether its boating or fisheries related. For the most part, inspection and searches of boats are much easier and require much less legal requirements than to search a vehicle or a residence. My best advice is to cooperate, if for some reason the officers do something you dont like, report them to their supervisors.

Cracker, I would always cooperate with LEO's I am pretty cautious and would never jeapordize my DOD clearances as that is my livelyhood. However I my Dad has been getting extensive grief from some FWC guys in the panhandle and he is a retired FDLE! They have been really aggresive with the recreational fisherman up in the remote area of the Panhandle Alligator Point and Carrabelle.

Cracker, I would always cooperate with LEO's I am pretty cautious and would never jeapordize my DOD clearances as that is my livelyhood. However I my Dad has been getting extensive grief from some FWC guys in the panhandle and he is a retired FDLE! They have been really aggresive with the recreational fisherman up in the remote area of the Panhandle Alligator Point and Carrabelle.

While it is hard to determine what aggressive is on the computer, I trust your dad knows from being prior LE when they are crossing the line. I know he wont like doing it, but tell him to call the local FWC office and ask to speak to the Major or Captain in charge. Tell him to voice his complaint and how rediculious its getting. Most of the time they will listen and speak with officers if neccessary.... I know I have had a run in or two with incompetent/rude officers also and I will pick up a phone and let someone know. I dont do written complaints unless its something criminal in nature.

my question here, with mention above of the feds removing a battery or other similar equipment in order to access part of the boat to do an inspection, does that not step over the line as far as interfearing with safe operation of the boat. what if that battery is the only thing allowing you to start the boat. to me it is very unsafe to have a disabled boat at sea for any reason. Also, what if it was running a bait pump, are they legally allowed to kill your tank of bait just to check your bildge?

If they are going to do some damage respectfully let them know...

While it is hard to determine what aggressive is on the computer, I trust your dad knows from being prior LE when they are crossing the line. I know he wont like doing it, but tell him to call the local FWC office and ask to speak to the Major or Captain in charge. Tell him to voice his complaint and how rediculious its getting. Most of the time they will listen and speak with officers if neccessary.... I know I have had a run in or two with incompetent/rude officers also and I will pick up a phone and let someone know. I dont do written complaints unless its something criminal in nature.

thats exactly what he did. I should've mentioned that. The aggressive part was more attitude, searching procedures etc. I mean come on my Dad is 71 and the guy fishing with him is 72 a retired Barnett Bank President they hardly looked like hard core outlaws...although the boat a 28 white water with twin 250 hpdi and dark blue hull might be a little suspicious for thse 2 old farts to be running around on.

thanks for all your insight Cracker, your great asset to this forum. :605_thumbs_up::605_thumbs_up: I always enjoy your posts as you explain things clearly and easy for an amatuer like me to understand the rules!

I had the same experience. The coasties pull up, ask to board, and some kid jumps on my boat, takes a look at me, puts a hand on his sidarm and says at almost a yell "Besides the weapon at your side, are there any other weapons on the boat?!"

I'm thinking what the hell, I have a 6 inch fillet knife in a sheath on my belt, and told him if that's a weapon the boat is probably full of them and you're welcome to look. Him and a couple of gung ho's relax after a few minutes of poking around and after they were done were decent young bucks to talk to. The first minute came off all wrong though.

A few years back my brother came down for a week and we got stopped every day for four days straight. On the fourth day I got pissed and asked if he was going to waste an hour of my day every day this week. He asked if he had really pulled me over every day and I told him yes, this was the fourth day in a row and he said he was sorry and left without another word.