Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

weird problem with 3.0l merc

I will try both ideas tomorrow. I have a gut feeling though it is the air leak due to my fuel water sep. job. It makes perfect sense. I didnt have time to leave dock today but I ran it in the slip after putting in some fresh gas and some fuel additive. I also got a new fuel sep. filter to put on after I burn some more fuel off. I got the boat to stall in the slip after runnint the rpm's to around 3000 then dropping it back quickly into nuetral and it bogged down and stalled almost every time. I think were getting close on this one and I really appreciate the help. I hope im out there live-lining the bass this weekend. I will let you guys know how it works out tomorrow night.

I will try both ideas tomorrow. I have a gut feeling though it is the air leak due to my fuel water sep. job. It makes perfect sense. I didnt have time to leave dock today but I ran it in the slip after putting in some fresh gas and some fuel additive. I also got a new fuel sep. filter to put on after I burn some more fuel off. I got the boat to stall in the slip after runnint the rpm's to around 3000 then dropping it back quickly into nuetral and it bogged down and stalled almost every time. I think were getting close on this one and I really appreciate the help. I hope im out there live-lining the bass this weekend. I will let you guys know how it works out tomorrow night.

If you are having this bogging/stall issue as soon as you reduce the RPMs, I don't believe you have an air leak. It would take time to run the fuel out of the carb before the leak became apparent. I think you may need to rebuild your carb or at least blow out the idle circuit. To be sure of eliminating the air leak possibility, you could bypass the ws temporarily, pull the fuel lines off the filter housing and join with a double-ended hose barb and clamps, then see if the problem still exists.

Well I put a new fuel water sep on and checked the gas and it looked good( just a little debri), i also threw some sea foam. I also made sure al the lines were tight and in good condition. Once again she ran fine up until she got warm, then sputtered and let out a little piff and stalled. I pulled the plugs and they looked fine, and they were also dry. I think its time to try a carb re build. Anyone reccomend somewhere online with a quality quicksilver rebuild kit at a good price?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone think to ask what it is idling at in gear? Last years gas should be removed and replaced before attempting any other repairs. Just an fyi from a certified Mercruiser tech. Ethonal has a shelf life of two weeks before it begins phase seperation for which there is no cure and no saving gas, at that point it will really effectlow rpm running.

I cleaned the carb and it runs better then it has ran in the last 3 years. the ethanol dirtied the carb real bad. I hate ethanol.

Anyone think to ask what it is idling at in gear? Last years gas should be removed and replaced before attempting any other repairs. Just an fyi from a certified Mercruiser tech. Ethonal has a shelf life of two weeks before it begins phase seperation for which there is no cure and no saving gas, at that point it will really effectlow rpm running.