Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trophy Rebuild-Switch panel

King,

Not sure if you have seen this page before but with all your deutsch connectors I thought you might find them handy.

http://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/default.asp

I looked at them when I did some rewiring but it wasn't practical because I had already replaced half of my gear without the connectors.

-Svence

King,

Not sure if you have seen this page before but with all your deutsch connectors I thought you might find them handy.

http://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/default.asp

I looked at them when I did some rewiring but it wasn't practical because I had already replaced half of my gear without the connectors.

-Svence

I did, but they pretty much work for a standard wiring., no extra stuff that we all have on our CC's. I am pretty good at crimping connectors now.

Kingair,

I know your're trying to do a first class job on your rebuild. I have one critique on your panel - I don't like how you daisy chained the line side of your breakers. Even though your using good terminals, there is still a good opportunity for corrosion. Once it starts the entire chain could be at risk for failure.

Wire sizing is important also. With a daisy chain, the wire should be sized to take the load of all the devices on the chain. I know - nobody uses every device at once - until they do.

I prefer to run separate leads from a power bus to the line side. Corrosion at one terminal won't compromise all the terminals. Wire sizing can be properly managed.

Anyway, thats my two cents.

Kingair,

I know your're trying to do a first class job on your rebuild. I have one critique on your panel - I don't like how you daisy chained the line side of your breakers. Even though your using good terminals, there is still a good opportunity for corrosion. Once it starts the entire chain could be at risk for failure.

Wire sizing is important also. With a daisy chain, the wire should be sized to take the load of all the devices on the chain. I know - nobody uses every device at once - until they do.

I prefer to run separate leads from a power bus to the line side. Corrosion at one terminal won't compromise all the terminals. Wire sizing can be properly managed.

Anyway, thats my two cents.

I see what you mean, and I actually went to Blue Sea and had an "engineer" look at what I did. I needed a wire gauge that would handle 25 amps at a 3% voltage drop. based on this the hot feed wire is an 8 gauge wire. The ground wire is spec at 14 gauge.

No item uses more than 25 amps and the largest item, the macerator uses 16 amps and a 10 foot run with 14 gauge wire.

BTW, you are right about good connectors. You are looking at about $200.00 worth of ancor connectors there.

:wacko::o

I didn't think the wire was 8 ga. I guess you'll be okay as 8 ga. wire, if it's 105C insulated, has an ampacity of 80. You still have the corrosion issue to deal with but that's a personal preference I suppose.

If those terminals cost you $200 you should find a new supplier. I think the list on quick connect terminals is only about $1.50.

I see what you mean, and I actually went to Blue Sea and had an "engineer" look at what I did. I needed a wire gauge that would handle 25 amps at a 3% voltage drop. based on this the hot feed wire is an 8 gauge wire. The ground wire is spec at 14 gauge.

No item uses more than 25 amps and the largest item, the macerator uses 16 amps and a 10 foot run with 14 gauge wire.

BTW, you are right about good connectors. You are looking at about $200.00 worth of ancor connectors there.

:wacko::o

I bought them from Jim at BOE for 4$ (3 each). That was the cheapest I could find, and he had an issue getting the female adhesive type. I am not sure why they are so hard to find.

• 2 months later...

Next time try Genuinedealz.com He has the same adhesive lined crimp fittings that Ancor repackages in their little plastic boxes. I think they have the same lettering on them. I held them up side by side and I couldn't tell any difference except for the price. I have been a regular customer for the last three years. He has female spade disconnects in small, medium and large, all adhesive lined.

I don't think your daisy chained panel wiring is going to corrode. Maybe in twenty years or so. I did all my panel wiring just this way.