Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Insurance

I just changed from Progressive to American Modern.

Progressive = $360.00

AM = $423.00

The main reason was AM's new feature. Part-time guide coverage, something that Progressive would not offer. It has to be part-time and no more than five on board. That was a super deal in my opinion.

Getting it started with AM took a bit effort as according to my broker, this was the absolute first policy written with the new coverage and the existing boilerplate had not been updated until we got it going.

I went with Sea Tow. Boat US was $400 more. I was surprisedat that. Sea Tow is underwritten by AIG but the insurance subsidiary is financially isolated from the holding company.

I went with Sea Tow. Boat US was $400 more. I was surprisedat that. Sea Tow is underwritten by AIG but the insurance subsidiary is financially isolated from the holding company.

It would sure be interesting to know what all goes into the various companies' pricing.......Sea Tow was a tad higher than Progressive for me, and Progressive was a little more than $200 higher than Boat US. I started this as a "heads up" thread in case someone could save a few $$.....now it's gotten just plain intriguing.

I was with BoatUS for more than 10 years with no claims. They tripled my rates after a couple of the Florida hurricanes where they had big loses even though my boating area is 1000 miles away. I switched to Progressive at the time which was half the cost of BoatUS.

I had the same issue with them. I had to go somewhere else.