Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Clarion and CMD5 w/ Sirius

I have never used the raymarine SR50 but if its anything like garmins you would need to put the CMD5 to input and change the sirius channels through the raymarine chartplotter. Which can be a pain but it works and you may be able to save on an extra subscription and running an extra antenna

If you want to change the channels through the cmd5 you need this kit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700SIRCLAR/Cl...tures_and_specs

It consists of a sirius connect tuner (SC-C1) and the clarion interface (CLA-SC1).

• 2 weeks later...
I have never used the raymarine SR50 but if its anything like garmins you would need to put the CMD5 to input and change the sirius channels through the raymarine chartplotter. Which can be a pain but it works and you may be able to save on an extra subscription and running an extra antenna

If you want to change the channels through the cmd5 you need this kit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700SIRCLAR/Cl...tures_and_specs

It consists of a sirius connect tuner (SC-C1) and the clarion interface (CLA-SC1).

Frank hit the nail on the head.

Yep, you can use either the Raymarine OR the Clarion interface. You don't need both.

The one you choose will determine how you change the channels. If you have the Clarion remotes and you want to use those then you'll have to get the Clarion interface. The Raymarine interface can only be controlled from a Raymarine chartplotter, not the Clarion radio or it's remotes.

You may want to think about how you change channels. The Clarion interface is nice in that it keeps any guests from fiddling with your chartplotter just to make radio changes. But you still have to use the radio (or it's remotes) to make volume control changes. That and you have to page away from your charts in order to get to the radio controls. Personally I don't like the Raymarine setup as it's visually pretty ugly and not all that friendly to use. The Clarion box isn't without flaws though, you only get three groups of 5 pre-set channels. You can't roll up/down through single channels. You can only make single channel changes from the radio itself (NOT the remotes). The remotes only allow scrolling up/down between those pre-sets. But that's about my only complaint about the Clarion setup. It works nicely otherwise.

And if you decide to add the Sirius weather module you don't have to add a second antenna. Shakespeare makes a combiner that will let you share a single Sirius antenna between two devices. I have the Clarion interface for the radio and the Raymarine module for weather. Both go through the combiner and a single antenna. One less widget drilled into the radar arch. It's worked great for three seasons now.