Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Lowrance HDS-5X Warning

I would suggest not buying this unit. Certainly not as a single unit fish finder. And certainly not for a year or two until the software settles and the updates aren't as frequent or as large.

Mine is 2 months old and is now rev locked because they require you to have a second HDS unit with a card slot in order to update the software.

I have other Lowrance products with card slots but don't have (and won't have) another HDS unit.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Anybody want to buy a very lightly used 5X??? Oh yeah, I just told you not to do that. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

HDS-5x Update Version 2.0.30.50

Warning:

The HDS-5x must be updated over the ethernet network by another HDS unit that has an SD card slot. You must update the HDS unit with the SD card slot before updating the HDS-5x.

• 2 weeks later...
I would suggest not buying this unit. Certainly not as a single unit fish finder. And certainly not for a year or two until the software settles and the updates aren't as frequent or as large.

Mine is 2 months old and is now rev locked because they require you to have a second HDS unit with a card slot in order to update the software.

I have other Lowrance products with card slots but don't have (and won't have) another HDS unit.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Anybody want to buy a very lightly used 5X??? Oh yeah, I just told you not to do that. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

HDS-5x Update Version 2.0.30.50

Warning:

The HDS-5x must be updated over the ethernet network by another HDS unit that has an SD card slot. You must update the HDS unit with the SD card slot before updating the HDS-5x.

I realize this thread is kind of old but if anyone else has this problem one possible solutions. A friend ran into this and took his unit to a local Lowrance dealer and they performed the update for him. Was a bit of a pain to take time to go to the store but relativelt painless. YMMV

Good suggestion depending on the dealer.

BassPro ain't gonna let me start running wires to the electronics rack :D :D :D

I'm waiting for somebody else in the marina to buy one and then I'll offer to upgrade theirs free of charge and sneak mine in at the same time.

Otherwise it's going to have to wait until the end of the season and go back to Lowrance.

Thanks for the idea.