Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Floundering/soft shelling light

I'm thinking of replacing my floundering lantern with an underwater light...you know the kind with the sealed light on the end of a pole that you walk with..but do not know anyone who has used this kind. I'm concerned the underwater light won't give as much coverage as the lantern but I cannot find a lantern like I used as a kid, with a glass globe around the mantles. The only kind they sell now are the ones with the mantles exposed.

Anyone have any experience with the submersible ones, let me know what you think.

Why do you dislike the lanterns with exposed globes? That is what I have always used and I love it. I used a submersible light before and we didn't see as well with it. The one I used was a halogen. If ScarabChris' lights are as good as people say you could put one of them on the end of a pole. LED's are the way to go because you can carry a tiny battery and use it all night. If you don't like the way it works submerged you can somehow rig it up so it reflects off a piece of aluminum and into the water.

Why do you dislike the lanterns with exposed globes? That is what I have always used and I love it. I used a submersible light before and we didn't see as well with it. The one I used was a halogen. If ScarabChris' lights are as good as people say you could put one of them on the end of a pole. LED's are the way to go because you can carry a tiny battery and use it all night. If you don't like the way it works submerged you can somehow rig it up so it reflects off a piece of aluminum and into the water.

It's not that I don't like them...I just can't find one with the glass globe around the mantles like they used to make. That really protected the mantles from accidentally getting knocked off or busted and from the wind. Sounds like they are still the best method. Guess I'll stick with that.

anyone else remember wrapping the back of the lantern with foil to keep the light focused and out our your eyes? or burning your hand on the hot glass?

i remember when those lantern handles came out with the metal "heat shield" on the back came out, that also had a hand hold on the back so you could point the lantern...

remember stumbling on something and dropping the lantern in the water? pitch black moonless night and then something bumps your leg...

i remember when those lantern handles came out with the metal "heat shield" on the back came out, that also had a hand hold on the back so you could point the lantern...

remember stumbling on something and dropping the lantern in the water? pitch black moonless night and then something bumps your leg...

:605_thumbs_up:

Ah, the good old days.

my cousin & i were floundering out at chandeleur when we were about ten or eleven...my uncle used to land his plane on the beach and we'd camp for days

anyway we went out to the back side (like he told us NOT to do) and wandered around for hours, gigged about a dozen beautys

go back to the beach and realized we didn't know which way to go to get back to the plane! we dragged those flounder up and down the beach till we collapsed, lost both lanterns, wound up sleeping in a brush pile to try & keep the deer flies off us

my uncle had called search & rescue...turns out where we dropped was about 100 yds from the damn campsite