Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Tow Line

Gary, don't take my post wrong, I would NEVER leave anyone out in open water. I just said how I would tow in the ICW as tow ropes are very dangerous And if all was cool out there I would stand by with you till help arrived.

If no help could get in route then yes I'll pull.

But, you better have some trolling gear ready cuz were fishing on the way in.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been towed and towed plenty of people. I would never leave someone without power just because I'm worried about them sueing me. If it's too rough to safely tow then I would stand by the boat until Coast Guard arrived. Sure it's ruined a couple of fishing trips, but I learned about 10 years ago that I will never leave about that is without power (someone left us).

Gary

:605_thumbs_up:

Same here.

I have been towed a couple of times and towed others several. When towed I double my anchor line (3/8" for a Bluewater 2150) to make a tow-line. When towing I make a bridle out of a 20' docking line, and either use a tow line supplied by the other boat or my own doubled anchor line. Dedicated lines would be nice, but would take up a lot of space for a need that seldom arises and can be served by lines you need to have aboard for other purposes.

Agree with everything that has been posted. As the tow, you should toss your line to the "salvor". Also, don't worry about a dedicated line, as posted above, your anchor rode (assuming you have the proper size) will be enough to tow you in calm to moderate seas (for open water, pay out your entire rode, shorten as you come inshore). I doubt you will part the line in all but a really bad sea.

I doubt you will part the line in all but a really bad sea.

I've parted "real deal" tow line in normal 2 ft seas on a 28' Grady tow. I've also pulled hardware off vessels that comes back at you around mach 5.

Me...I call the towboat people to come get me in my personal vessel. And I'm a towboat captain. I used to feel differently until I started doing the tows professionally. Bad stuff happens quickly. I prefer to have someone that is EXPECTING the bad mojo handle it with the right equipment. Short hip tow in the ICW (less than a hour)...I might do that good samaritan for you. Stern tows, nope, never.

I just towed someone in the Keys and I will tow anyone who needs help. Be a good samaritan and help others out! The downfall of this society we live in is this BS fear of being sued.

My tow story: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/...eople-suck.html

As far as a tow line, next time you change out your winch strap, keep the old one for an emergency tow line.

As far as a tow line, next time you change out your winch strap, keep the old one for an emergency tow line.

My winch strap is 25' in length; too short to safely tow a boat.

My winch strap is also woven nylon, like a giant seat-belt, meaning it will not stretch, give, or break.

Since I'm not interested in another boat 25' behind me using a strap that will likely damage fittings on either end if any kind of sea is encountered, I think I'll pass.

You're not pulling a truck out of a ditch.

Liability aside, I'm not a professional towboat captain. I'd rather not make a situation worse. If someone is in immediate peril, I will do everything in my power to assist them. If they are not in immediate peril, I will stick around and keep an eye on them until proper help arrives. If I say " you should call a towboat" and they say "no, you should tow me in for free".....well, Eff you cheapskate, I'm going fishing.

Operating a boat that is in piss poor shape, or not functioning properly, and getting in trouble because of it? Not my problem. Running out of gas is about the number one most idiotic thing one can do. Sorry to be harsh, but if your gas gauge isn't working and you operate the boat anyways? Or you run the tank dry because you were too lazy to account for a reserve, or motor into a marina and get a fill up?

And then to get blamed for improperly towing someone who ran out of gas? No thanks.

Towing another vessel either on the hip or in stern tow is, IMHO an essential skill that every boater should have. It can also be remarkably dangerous, particularly when done improperly, with the wrong gear, with little knowledge of the physics involved, or by the untrained.

Both Chapmans and the USCG Small-Boat Seamanship Manual (now available to the public) have excellent sections covering the subject. The USCG Small-Boat Seamanship Manual is the exact same information that USCG boat crews train to and should be one of your "must haves".

The BEST practice though remains to stand by and wait for professional help to arrive IF that is an option. If that's not an option, second best is to get the other vessel out of danger and then wait for the pros to come finish getting them in.