Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Life Raft Service

This is a bit of a rant, but hopefully someone else will benefit.

When we purchased the boat mid-season of 2006, it came with a Switlik life raft mounted on the foredeck in a cradle. The raft canister had an inspection label indicating that it was serviced that year. (was up to date)

Switlik is a manufacturer that does not vacuum pack their rafts, so they require annual servicing by someone authorized to do so. In both 2007 and 2008, my yard sent the raft out to a place in RI for service. Why there? I picked up their card at the NY boat show and they are a factory authorized dealer and service center. Both years, the raft was returned with a new inspection sticker and a report indicating that it had passed all of the tests proscribed by Switlik.

This year, my yard sent the raft to a different factory authorized servicer located in NJ. From them, I received a report (including pictures) indicating that due to the raft's age (mfg in 1994) and poor condition, they did not recommend servicing it at all. The brief report and pictures indicated that seams were coming apart and the canopy was no longer attached.

I can certainly understand that the raft was made in 1994 and it is reasonable to assume that it has reached the end of its useful life. No problem there at all.

My issue really stems from the fact that I find it hard to believe that in neither of the two previous inspections were any notations/recommendations made as to signs of deterioration or wear. No notes about showing signs of wear, nearing the end of its life, start thinking about replacement etc.

I sent the current report to the company in RI that inspected it in 2007 and 2008 and received a very nice reply from their President detailing what a great company they are and how this could have occurred over the previous 12 months. (BTW it is $650+ for annual servicing)

I'm not in a position to dispute that all of the deterioration occured during this past year although I am skeptical as to it being perfectly fine at 14 years old and not worth servicing at 15.

I guess the moral of the story is that we take for granted that a safety item like this is sent out, inspected and returned and that everyone is doing what they are supposed to do for the fees that they are charging. In the future, when whatever raft I purchase requires service, at a minimum I intend to ask for pictures of the raft inflated on every inspection and I may go to personally see it get inflated.

This is one of those items that you hope to never need but it better work when you do so I'm not sure I trust just the sticker any more.

I have been seeing more of ths type of thing in my line of work as well. I have caught a couple of fire sprinkler contactors billing customers for inspections and not finding obvious deficiencies. It is very frustrating as the process to penalize them is extremely cumbersome.

Wth the economy the way it is, it will get worse before it gets better.

I am assuming that you got your service done at LRSE down in Portsmouth, RI. They are a good company, but they are one of the highest priced shops around. If you are here in NE, I would suggest going to Westerbeke Marine in East Boston. They are a commercial outfit, and have prices much more reasonable. I saved about 30% and they can make repairs and work with what you have.

Best of Luck,

Ryan

This is a bit of a rant, but hopefully someone else will benefit.

When we purchased the boat mid-season of 2006, it came with a Switlik life raft mounted on the foredeck in a cradle. The raft canister had an inspection label indicating that it was serviced that year. (was up to date)

Switlik is a manufacturer that does not vacuum pack their rafts, so they require annual servicing by someone authorized to do so. In both 2007 and 2008, my yard sent the raft out to a place in RI for service. Why there? I picked up their card at the NY boat show and they are a factory authorized dealer and service center. Both years, the raft was returned with a new inspection sticker and a report indicating that it had passed all of the tests proscribed by Switlik.

This year, my yard sent the raft to a different factory authorized servicer located in NJ. From them, I received a report (including pictures) indicating that due to the raft's age (mfg in 1994) and poor condition, they did not recommend servicing it at all. The brief report and pictures indicated that seams were coming apart and the canopy was no longer attached.

I can certainly understand that the raft was made in 1994 and it is reasonable to assume that it has reached the end of its useful life. No problem there at all.

My issue really stems from the fact that I find it hard to believe that in neither of the two previous inspections were any notations/recommendations made as to signs of deterioration or wear. No notes about showing signs of wear, nearing the end of its life, start thinking about replacement etc.

I sent the current report to the company in RI that inspected it in 2007 and 2008 and received a very nice reply from their President detailing what a great company they are and how this could have occurred over the previous 12 months. (BTW it is $650+ for annual servicing)

I'm not in a position to dispute that all of the deterioration occurred during this past year although I am skeptical as to it being perfectly fine at 14 years old and not worth servicing at 15.

I guess the moral of the story is that we take for granted that a safety item like this is sent out, inspected and returned and that everyone is doing what they are supposed to do for the fees that they are charging. In the future, when whatever raft I purchase requires service, at a minimum I intend to ask for pictures of the raft inflated on every inspection and I may go to personally see it get inflated.

This is one of those items that you hope to never need but it better work when you do so I'm not sure I trust just the sticker any more.

I definitely see your point. For the record, I sent LRSE a 16 year old raft about 2 years ago and they condemned it. It's tough news to get especially when they still bill you about half the inspection fee plus disposal. I guess it's a good thing I sent it in though. I suppose anything is passable but I've found LRSE to be thorough in the past. It was probably just time.

After having the raft condemned at a cost of $350ish I've decided to trade them in every ten years. They only last so long.

Good Luck

Jay

LRSE is indeed the servicer but my main point was to take an active interest in the servicing of a vital piece of safety equipment.

While I said I am skeptical, it certainy could be that the thing just got to a point where it began to fall apart. Without being involved, there is no way of knowing.

My other concern is that all you get is a 3 page testing checklist. It passed. No comments. No recommendations. I think most people would appreciate a heads up with some kind of commentary about it "getting old", "think about replacement" or that they usually last x number of years. Never having had one before, how would I know?

LRSE is indeed the servicer but my main point was to take an active interest in the servicing of a vital piece of safety equipment.

While I said I am skeptical, it certainy could be that the thing just got to a point where it began to fall apart. Without being involved, there is no way of knowing.

My other concern is that all you get is a 3 page testing checklist. It passed. No comments. No recommendations. I think most people would appreciate a heads up with some kind of commentary about it "getting old", "think about replacement" or that they usually last x number of years. Never having had one before, how would I know?

I would have to agree with you. If they called me and said my raft was NG, I would certainly want to be there to SEE what was wrong, and/or what the reasoning was to condemn the raft. And disposal?? No way, give it back to me and I'll use it as a pool toy; I'm not paying for disposal.