Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Gelcoat Repair

Hi, I'm new here and not sure where to post this question. I have a few nicks in the gelcoat, and would like to do the repair myself. My question is how difficult is it to color match? I have heard of a company that will color match, but I can't locate them (does anyone know of a company) is it worth doing it that way or should I try to color match myself? :471_confused_face:

Thanks for any help.

If the nicks are not to bad you can use the mix& match gel coats kits. They are real easy to use and with not mutch practice you can get a near perfect match. good luck

Unless the boat is nearly new the original gelcoat color won't match, because the gelcoat will have faded. The key to color matching is to test your pigment mix on a properly prepared section of the hull, which means a section that you have wet sanded to bring back as much of the original color as possible. So, mix up your color, apply it to the prepared area, and make very small adjustments until you get a perfect (or near-perfect match).

When you apply the gelcoat to the repair it won't quite match (unless you've sanded or compounded the whole boat), but within a relatively short period of time the repair will fade to match the rest of the boat.

Got this advice from Precision Fiberglass DVDs sold at Amazon -- a guy who's been specializing in fiberglass repair for over 30 years and used to sell (maybe still does?) a pigment matching kit. It works.