Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fishing in St. Martin

My brother and new sister in law are flying into St. Martin tomorrow morning and would like to get out off shore fishing a day or two. I am looking to see if anyone has fished down there and had a good boat to recommend. They want to have just the two of them out there along with the Capt. and mate. Also he does not want to pay for a large charter boat maybe in the 25-30' range.

I appreciate any suggestions that you can make and I will get the info to him if he does not read it on here himself first.

Wiley I know this should be in the sport fishing section but this one gets a lot more action.

I sailed all around St. Maarten, Anguilla and St. Barts for a week this February, trolling all the way. One thing you should know is that the sea conditions are pretty rough - 6-9 foot seas and more are common. This time of the year the marlin may begin to show, and you can catch mahi and kings. You can do an Internet search for charter boats. There are only a few on St. Maarten and they aren't particularly cheap though a lot cheaper than on St. Bart's. A few miles west of St. Maarten is a nice drop off. Otherwise, it is pretty shallow all the way down to St. Bart's. Trolling from the sailboat, we got nailed a few times but couldn't keep them on the hook. At anchor, I jumped a bunch of tarpon. From the dinghy we trolled barracuda. Fishing can be pretty good there, especially down towards Saba on the Saba Banks.

• 3 weeks later...
My brother and new sister in law are flying into St. Martin tomorrow morning and would like to get out off shore fishing a day or two. I am looking to see if anyone has fished down there and had a good boat to recommend. They want to have just the two of them out there along with the Capt. and mate. Also he does not want to pay for a large charter boat maybe in the 25-30' range.

I appreciate any suggestions that you can make and I will get the info to him if he does not read it on here himself first.

Wiley I know this should be in the sport fishing section but this one gets a lot more action.

Can't remember the charter's name, but we fished there a few years ago. They used a 31 Bertram, and did a good job. Worked hard, caught some nice mahi-mahi.

post-2776-1244156562_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...