Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Used Outboards

There are basically two reasons people sell an o/b. Either it is nearly shot and isn't worth repairing, or their boat was underpowered and they are upgrading.

Obviously avoid the first, and with the second, make sure the engine doesn't have too many hours, as on overloaded engine will wear out faster than a proper sized engine. Thats the route I went with my engine, it was one year old w/ 140 hours on it, basically just broken in, and 80% of what a new one would set me back.

To me, the cost and risk of engine failure when in the salt is so much greater than what I'd save with a good engine that I just didn't consider getting a well used o/b.

There are basically two reasons people sell an o/b. Either it is nearly shot and isn't worth repairing, or their boat was underpowered and they are upgrading.

That may be the case in Alaska, but not in the coastal areas of the lower 48.

With the advent of four stroke outboards as well as larger and larger horse power outboards, many anglers are re-powering with larger four strokes and selling their two strokes that are more often than not, in excellent condition. The problem these sellers have is finding a buyer who wants a good pair of running two strokes when four strokes have taken over the outboard market.

Is there much of a used market for used outboards? Where would be the best place to look for used 250 opti-max or e-tec? What would you expect to pay?

A lot will depend on the year. If it is 2-4 years old, I've seen them going for about 60 - 70% of their original cost. 5-10 year old engines, 50% down to as low as 25% of their original cost. In some markets two strokes are easy for a seller to sell, and in others, you can't give them away. You will be wise to run either brand for a reasonable period of time prior to purchase, or if the engine is not still on its original transom, a prudent buyer will have a qualified mechanic do a compression test, plus check out the lower unit.

3 years ago I bought a 2000 model Yamaha 90 with a bad lower unit on EBAY for $1100. Found a nearly brand new lower unit from a guy on another forum we all know for $500. Traded my old blown Evinrude for the rigging. With controls, gauges and prop I had the motor on & going for under $2500. The motor has great compression and runs perfectly.

Naturally I would rather have had a new motor, but I barely use this boat which is 20+ years old (Whaler Montauk) and did not want to sink $7k into a new motor.

So, check EBAY and Google used outboards and you will find quite a bit out there. May take some looking and as always, take care to check out the seller and the deal and you should be able to find what you want.