Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Enertia Prop

I have a 24 bay champ with a yamaha F250. It came with a 21 saltwater 2 prop that it turns to 5900 rpms doing 50 mph. I want to try an enertia prop but am not sure on how it will compare in performance. Should I go up, down or try the same pitch as the saltwater 2. I am looking for a prop that is harder to ding up than the yamaha props. In the past I have had good service from merc props.

The Saltwater series 2 is 15 inches diameter I believe.

The Enertia gets very small as pitch goes up. the highest pitch is 22, and the diameter is about 13 7/8 at that point.

You would probably bang the rev limiter pretty easily, and midrange probably wouldn't be very good either.

Do you have a jackplate or anything on the boat?

The Mirage Plus, is fairly similiar to the SWS, and the Tempest Plus does well too.

I'm a big fan of merc props, but, I don't think they will be any harder to ding up then Yamaha's.

Thanks, I have used tempest props in the past with good results. I was hoping the enertia would be tough and give me a little better top end. I have a manual JP and it seems set at a good height for the ss2 prop. Sounds like I might have to go down on the plate a little with a enertia. Should I try the 22 or the 21.

I'd go with the larger pitch. As Ken noted, they get smaller in diameter as the pitch goes up, so they have a bit more slip in them. Strangely enough, I found the Yamaha SWS worked better up to about 3500, with better bite and better fuel numbers. But over that, the Enertias worked the best and gave a higher top end because of the thinner blades.

In theory, the X-7 alloy should be tougher, but the blades are also thinner, so I would not bet that an Enerta would outlive a Yamaha prop in the ding test.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd go with the larger pitch. As Ken noted, they get smaller in diameter as the pitch goes up, so they have a bit more slip in them. Strangely enough, I found the Yamaha SWS worked better up to about 3500, with better bite and better fuel numbers. But over that, the Enertias worked the best and gave a higher top end because of the thinner blades.

In theory, the X-7 alloy should be tougher, but the blades are also thinner, so I would not bet that an Enerta would outlive a Yamaha prop in the ding test.

The blades are not really any thinner. The whole X-7 alloy thing is a bunch of marketing hype IMO. I have an Enertia and just had it lab finished. I had a micrometer all over it and compared to a Mirage and Rev4 it is no thinner. I think the only reason it is so light is the hub carrier and splines design. Why has Mercury not made any of their other props from this magic alloy? Becasue there would be no difference in weight or performance and the cat would be out of the bag. The Enertia works the way it does becasue of its unique design. Works for some, not for others. I havent got any hard number on my labbed enertia yet but initially the results look good. I hit the same top speed I run light with a full load so far. I was able to get 3mpg loaded light up to 35...maybe 36mph before. The other day I checked quick and was getting just over 3mpg at 39mph with a half tank and 4 adults...plus cocktails!