Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

T- Top Canvas Leaks

I was on my boat in the rain the other day and saw the water coming through the canvas on the tee top. The boat is a 2002 so the canvas is about 7 YO. Is this about all the life I should expect from a black t top canvas?? Can I spray something on it to "stretch the life" a few more years or am I looking at a replacement??

Is it actually soaking through the canvas, or perhaps just around the stitching? :504_shrugging:

I had good results with a brush-on fabric waterproofing solution on one of my prior boats where water would soak through the material. It was a thin, clear liquid with a strong solvent smell and came in an orange gallon can - - for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the stuff. I brushed on one coat, let it dry overnight and hit it with a second coat the next day. Never had another leak.

If it's just coming in around the stitching, most camping stores (and probably Wally World) sell a seam sealer meant for tents; it basically plugs the needle holes and stops leaks there.

Use 303 Fabric Protectant, I think it's the only one approved by Sunbrella and it works well if not a little pricey. Here's a link to their product site.

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?...FTOKEN=40552606

It looks like this product is sold at west marine. Which application method do you use (spray or wipe on)?

My canvas is soaking through as it is more than just the seams.

thanks for the feedback

7 years is good for a Sunbrella top, it usually needs retreating at about 5 years.

There are a number of sealants for Sunbrella but as stated earlier, the 303 Fabric Guard is the one recommended by Sunbrella and the only one to my knowledge that is allowed to display the Sunbrella logo on the label. It is easy to apply, just light overlapping coats and let dry thoroughly. Yes, it may be a bit pricey, but it is really good stuff and can easily be found in most major marine stores.

I spoke in length with the Sunbrella rep about retreating and how, on another forum, the buzz was to apply Thompsons Water Seal on the canvas and never worry about another leak. The rep says this is truly a bad idea as it makes the canvas brittle.

For the seam lines, look for a product called PlastiSeam. You can still find it in 2 oz size with an applicator top but this size has been discontinued so they will be becoming scarce in the near future. Another option is parafin wax (candle wax) but that has a tenancy to melt out in time. Stay away from silicone based sealers, they will never truly dry and will end up attracting dirt leaving you with a stripe on the top.

On a side note the Sunbrella Rep tells me that Sunbrella has upgraded their weaving process, the threads are much tighter now. New fabrics (since October) now come with an awesome 10 year warranty instead of the old 5 years. Of the ten, the first eight are full coverage and the last two pro-rated.

Hope this helps,

Randy

I was on my boat in the rain the other day and saw the water coming through the canvas on the tee top. The boat is a 2002 so the canvas is about 7 YO. Is this about all the life I should expect from a black t top canvas?? Can I spray something on it to "stretch the life" a few more years or am I looking at a replacement??

Lots of life left in that canvas.

Because of the severity of the summer storms mixed with extreme heat down this way I need to do mine evey year. And if you have ever seen a pic of my boat I have an acre of canvas!

The 303 product does work very well. I buy the gallon bottle and one of those generic spray bottles from the store and refill it.

The most important step is the prewash. You must wash the canvas thoroughly from the outside in with a good detergent. Rinse the detergent out with plenty of water. This will get rid of the grime and grease. If you do not do this your waterproofing treatment WILL NOT WORK, regardless of the quality of the product you use. I use a boat wash with a long handle plastic bristle broom. Put plenty of elbow grease into this step.

Then, after it has thoroughly dried, spray the 3M canvas sealer on in 3 foot by 3 foot squares (maybe even 2X2 on your size canvas), making sure to saturate the canvas. Then move to the the next section ensuring planty of overlap with the previous area. Make sure to saturate everywhere, paying attention to the areas around zips and stitching.

You will also find that you can no longer go 6 or 7 years from now on. You will probably need to repeat every 2-3 years or so.

Good luck!

Guest edgewater225

Star brite Waterproofing - spray it on, let it dry, you're done.

We "saved" a 10-year old fabric t-top with this - you can see the video at

www.starbrite.com in the How To section.

Lots of life left in that canvas.

Because of the severity of the summer storms mixed with extreme heat down this way I need to do mine evey year. And if you have ever seen a pic of my boat I have an acre of canvas!

The 303 product does work very well. I buy the gallon bottle and one of those generic spray bottles from the store and refill it.

The most important step is the prewash. You must wash the canvas thoroughly from the outside in with a good detergent. Rinse the detergent out with plenty of water. This will get rid of the grime and grease. If you do not do this your waterproofing treatment WILL NOT WORK, regardless of the quality of the product you use. I use a boat wash with a long handle plastic bristle broom. Put plenty of elbow grease into this step.

Then, after it has thoroughly dried, spray the 3M canvas sealer on in 3 foot by 3 foot squares (maybe even 2X2 on your size canvas), making sure to saturate the canvas. Then move to the the next section ensuring planty of overlap with the previous area. Make sure to saturate everywhere, paying attention to the areas around zips and stitching.

You will also find that you can no longer go 6 or 7 years from now on. You will probably need to repeat every 2-3 years or so.

Good luck!

Ditto what Menzies said.

The canvas on my SR leaked everywhere when I bought it. The 303 Fabric Guard is amazing stuff- I'm getting ready to re-do now, but it's been nearly two years and its only starting to leak again.

Buy the gallon size (you can get it direct on 303's website), I use a pump-up bug sprayer to apply.