Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Miss-Be-Haven II

Well the search is hopefully over . . . the paper work has been handled and the deposit made . . . next step is the survey of the hull and then the engines

The boat is a 38 ft Bertram built in 1963 . . . only 13 were produced

Extensive work was done inside and outside . . . we crawled all over it and took it out for a sea trial Sunday morning

The boat is very well rigged for fishing, very well, with only the electronics maybe needing some updating . . . but it is ready to fish as is . . . no problems

I will post updates and pics as the work progresses

Ed, Fubar512, has been exceptional helping me find this boat and go through all of the steps . . . a true friend

post-118-1254848239_thumb.jpg

Edited by auguste

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The boat met Gus's criteria, which was a boat that was in as close to turn-key as possible, had comfortable accommodations, rode well, had below deck fish boxes, and achieved roughly 1 MPG, or better.

With an admittedly dirty bottom, we confirmed that she cruised at just about 20 knots, at a skosh over 23 GPH with the genset running and the A/C on. The day we sea trialed her, the seas were fairly calm, with no more then one-to-two foot swells. I had to all but play play chicken with an inbound B & D 60+ foot sports fisherman, jumping her gnarly bow wave, just to show Gus how a proper deep-V hull handles a head sea. Needless to say, she passed Gus's wake test :) Gus had told me of sea trial he'd once had, with another manufacturer's 38 foot hull, where even less of a wake resulted in a jarring impact. This boat sports a 22-degree dead rise angle at the transom, something that's practically unheard of in a vessel of her size.

Her fish box is a stainless-steel slurry tank, cooled by 4-chill plates. it's capable of chilling sea water down below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, and is roughly 60" beam-wise, by 40" wide, and 40" deep.:

post-287-1254852105_thumb.jpg

She also has two nice-sized live wells under the lazarette hatch:

post-287-1254852264_thumb.jpg

The cockpit is roomy enough for a full-sized chair:

post-287-1254852333_thumb.jpg

The side decks are quite roomy and uncluttered, so tending dock lines should be a breeze:

post-287-1254852637_thumb.jpg

The bridge arrangement is incredibly well laid out, given her vintage, with seating for 4, in addition to the helmsman. Unfortunately, my camera started experiencing issues at that point...but I promise that we'll upload some images of that area, soon.

The salon and forward cabin areas were completely remodeled, with an eye towards easy maintenance and comfort, rather than glitz and faux luxury.

Edited by fubar512

Sweeeeeeet !! Nice looking rig. Here's hopes this is the one, Gus. :605_thumbs_up:

What engines does she have?

(Funny looking baitfish in that livewell.... :504_shrugging: )

375 HP Cat 3208s, new in 2007, with apprx. 550 hours on them. As for the "funny looking baitfish", well, you've heard of rudderfish, right? That's one of their hardier cousins, the rare nothern nibral propfish :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Edited by fubar512

375 HP Cat 3208s, new in 2007, with apprx. 550 hours on them. As for the "funny looking baitfish", well, you've heard of rudderfish, right? That's one of their hardier cousins, the rare nothern nibral propfish :1143_neener_neener_neener:

Nice!! A Golden Oldie with almost-new Cat's ! Nice combo. :605_thumbs_up:

Best bait for the elusive Northern Nibral Propfish, unfortunately, is a big ol' pile of underwater rocks! Don't ask me how I know. :1925_:

How do you de-fin that propfish? I've heard you can steam them, them grab'm by 2 ears and start chew'n. Those 3 eared ones are easier to manage, the 4 eared ones can be tricky. :239_fishing:

That's a timeless classic that looks/sounds like it has been kept in up to date condition which will provide a better vessel than a lot of newer boats. She's a beauty, I love it. :1992_beer_cheer: