Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fifth Try To Buy New (used) Boat

The electronic transfer has been made and I am going to sea trial (hope to sea trial) the FIFTH boat that I have made a deposit on.

I am flying into Jacksonville FL tomorrow and from there going to seatrial the boat on Sunday/Monday.

The hull surveyor will be there Sunday and Monday, and the engine surveyor will be there Monday.

The boat is a classic older sportfish upon which traditions have been built.

I have talked to the owner and he seems to be a truly stand-up 'old school gentleman'

I have had two very reputable individuals tell me that the boat is in excellent shape. It had a total rebuild from keel to tower and bow to stern

When I started looking for a boat last November I did not believe that I would have a chance to own one of these classics . . . but the market has driven down the prices of used boats and this one is now within my budget.

Another thing, the broker seems to be a great guy . . . by coincidence my hull survey knows the broker and he says that the broker is a good guy. The broker is travelling from Fort Lauderdale to the boats current location and he will be there for the entire time . . . I think he just wants to sea trial the boat but he is going to be there, which is good news

Exchanged PMs With Wiley

I will post in ReelBoating a lengthy detailed description of what has transpired during this try at buying a boat, complete with pictures.

There will be a number of projects to do on this boat . . . electronics . . . outriggers . . . some underwater lights . . . etc. I will post How To's for each of projects as well as seeking ideas and suggestions from everyone here

The Boat

I would love to tell you what boat I have been looking at. However, I have been jinxed and have had this black cloud over my head since last November.

The hints I have given to date are:

#1 The number 31 is important, and that is neither the length of the boat nor the year it was built in

#2 A very classy custom sportfisherman with lots of wood in the interior

#3 A convertible

#4 Built in North America and still under production

I will post some pics whe I get back :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gus, which marina? We may be out and about on Sunday and will keep an eye open for you.

Where are you staying?

The owner has the vessel docked in his back yard in a gated community so I can't invite anyone

I am staying at the Days Inn

You will have a PM in 30 minutes after this post