Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

When do you know you're a captain?

How do you quantify the word/meaning of,Captain...

I know some who think that they can buy a boat and become a captain, some get a "proper" license and some get caught in 10ft seas only to deliver themselves and their crew home safely. So, how do you, or did you determine that you were a captain??

Just stirring the pot and looking for motivation to take the boat out again with all this bs weather..

PD

Edited by Pearl Diver

As a legal minimum, the USCG determines if you are qualified to be called a Captain when they issue you a license to operate or navigate passenger carrying vessels. Minimum requirements are documented 360 DAYS at sea, in vessel type, a heck of a written exam, a homeland security background check, a TWIC card, no criminal record, must be certified in First Aid and CPR, must pass a fairly extensive physical exam, cannot be color blind, must pass a drug screening test and subject to random testing. International waters also require a FCC radiotelephone license. If you don't have all that, as a minimum, you are blowing smoke if you put Capt. in front of your name.

It was an average day, normal 1-2 out front. Coming back in as the chop started getting bad and the inlet was probaly 5-6 foot rollers with a cresting wave thrown in now and then for good measure. Half way through it changed from slightly challenging to Oh S*&t where did that wave come from? Almost all the way through the rollers were gone and I was looking up at the tops of the waves as they were breaking. After successfully clearing the inlet and looking back I was quite happy with myself for the successful passing. That's when my passenger saw the guy that fell off the rocks and was floating into the inlet. Back in we went and it took a lot of maneuvering and a few scary moments including green water over the bow but we got him on board and met the coast guard in calm waters,who was on their way out after getting the call. They watched the whole thing and told me they were impressed. As we were pushing off one of the older guardsmen said "nice work Captain". I think that was the moment you are talking about.

We too owned a World Cat. That is one heck of a boat. It can take the rough water and still keep up speed. We could cruise at 30 knots in 4 foot seas. It is one boat that we really loved. We did sell it because we wanted more comfort for cruising. I surely miss that boat. It had two 200 hp engines on it and it could do over 50 mph. One tough boat.

One day we went to the tower and another boat tried to get us to leave saying that a storm was coming. We told him he needed to leave because we could make it with our boat. He was just trying to get our spot, there wasn't a storm coming. We had already checked the weather.

Another time It was close to dark outside when we were cruising around 30 mph when all of a sudden we saw three 7 foot waves. My son grabbed the throttle and pulled it back. We still went airborne on two of the waves. It was a wake from a big ship heading out and definately was making time.

I am a believer in World Cats. The definately are great boats.

Edited by reel

So, how do you, or did you determine that you were a captain??

Just stirring the pot and looking for motivation to take the boat out again with all this bs weather..

PD

For me, it was the first time the guy on the gas dock said "That'll be $450, Captain." ;)

In the late 80's I had a 16ft StarCraft. I was @20 at the time fishing the Chesapeake Bay with my younger brother. This was before gps. We were trolling for Bluefish when fog came in. Couldn't see 50ft. Should have headed straight home but we were young. Did @ a 25 mile loop in the middle Bay using our driver licenses as slide rule, a chart and a compass to find our way and stay out of ship's channel. Like I said we were young.