Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Help with a slippery patio deck

After docking the boat we usually take a dip in the pool and then in through the back door. The problem is that the patio deck is porcelain tile which is very very slippery when wet. It's only a matter of time that the kids break bones or teeth due to this.

The tile looks really nice and I'd like to not change the appearance too much if possible. Is there any treatment or application to help get a grip? I was thinking sealer with sand. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

After docking the boat we usually take a dip in the pool and then in through the back door. The problem is that the patio deck is porcelain tile which is very very slippery when wet. It's only a matter of time that the kids break bones or teeth due to this.

The tile looks really nice and I'd like to not change the appearance too much if possible. Is there any treatment or application to help get a grip? I was thinking sealer with sand. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

might want to try some type of a clear finish???

Had this same problem a few years back. A designer put glazed tile in a comerical kitchen because it looked good.

If its smooth or slick tile you can etch it with a little pool acid. you will lose the shine but no more ice rink deck. Once the glaze is gone you can shine it up with a non-slip comerical floor wax. You could try the wax first but not sure if it will stick to the glaze.

In the kitchen we left it unfinished. It looked fine just a little dull. Beat falling on your #$&. When dirty mop with Tide.

Passman

I'd suggest that you contact a couple of well respected tile suppliers in your area about the problem and go with their recommendation.

I would rather apply a topical coating a few times a year vs screwing up a perfectly good tile patio.

Forget the sand idea.