Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What constitutes "offshore"?

Offshore is what it says,,offshore. It could be five feet off the beach or five miles. If its "Off the shore" then its off shore.

Coastal waters is anything at the coast...................

So "coastal waters" then is a stretch of "water" with no width :)

Some are obviously a little lost on this one as generally the distinction between coastal and offshore waters (ignoring weather forecast boundaries) is the affects casued by coastal or continential attributes and there simply ain't no way that 5 feet "off the shore" is affected by continential conditions in any way shape or form.

Menzies, I edited my post , I was thinking about a more than 6 person Capt. License [ Master up to 100 tons ]

I was wondering! For a recreational fisherman to be doing that regularly you would have to own a gas business!! :D

Also for those comparing EPIRB requirements and distance, just about all of the real world (that is excluding the US at this point :)) generally require (that is mandate) EPIRB's beyond 2nm for anything that floats.

Holey crap! Seriously? That seems a little excessive.

For OUPV requirements, the CG makes a distinction between "Inland" (close to shore) and "Near-costal" (out to 100 nm). They define their own boundary line between the two, which varies in distance from shore by region, but in my area on the West coast of Florida, "Near-costal" waters are generally about 12 nm out. I don't recall if they have a different catagory for "way the heck off shore", but I suspect at that point you get out of the world of recreational boating and into the Masters License and the 200 nm line that Welder mentioned previously.

Where ever the line is, it just surprises me that the recreational boating community hasn't developed some set of generally accepted practices for the extra gear and procedures that are prudent for venturing offshore. What's appropriate for different distances and situations seems to be largely based on tribal knowledge and the individual captain's tolerance for risk, and is learned over time based on trial and error. Trouble is, without some general guidelines to go by, inexperienced captains may be putting themselves and their passengers at higher risk than they understand as they push the limits of their own experience.

...inexperienced captains may be putting themselves and their passengers at higher risk than they understand as they push the limits of their own experience.

Or push the limits of the USCG to search and find them!

With regard weather forecasts "offshore" is generally considered beyond 60nm

Not sure that's true re boating distance. I always believed that if you were within sight of land it was inshore, out of sight of land, offshore.

In Florida most people consider the Gulfstream offshore. That is where it might get nasty at times and a lot of boats founder. The stream could be between 6 to 45 or even 45 to 100 miles depending on your location.

Edited by uanhanlu

With regard weather forecasts "offshore" is generally considered beyond 60nm

Not sure that's true re boating distance. I always believed that if you were within sight of land it was inshore, out of sight of land, offshore.

In Florida most people consider the Gulfstream offshore. That is where it might get nasty at times and a lot of boats founder. The stream could be between 6 to 45 or even 45 to 100 miles depending on your location.

Between 70-80 off Jax.