Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Rigging a Breakaway Anchor

Good stuff, loose_cannon. I am going to rig up an anchor like that this weekend.

Nice pulpit, by the way.

Thank you, I built the pulpit out of cypress and put multiple coats of Sikkens Cetol on it. As a bottom fisherman and diver, I do a LOT of anchoring. Having a good pulpit and fairlead really makes it easier on the AB (anchor beetch). :D

That was easy. done and done. Still using the bigger anchor I bought to solve my anchoring problem before, so now I've got an anchor meant for a 25' boat and 18' of 5/16 galvanized chain with 3/8" shackles. That oughta hold 'er.....

:2261_high:

When you are NFL football player you just tie the line to a stern cleat and gun it.

I have seen some people rig an anchor like this for fishing but just use a piece of re-bar with a 45 degree bend in the end. Not for emergencies but good for fishing in places where the anchor can get stuck a lot. The breakaway system helps a lot and if it is still stuck you only lose a bent re-bar.

I have seen some people rig an anchor like this for fishing but just use a piece of re-bar with a 45 degree bend in the end. Not for emergencies but good for fishing in places where the anchor can get stuck a lot. The breakaway system helps a lot and if it is still stuck you only lose a bent re-bar.

I think you're thinking of a wreck anchor. Its a good solution for wreck fishing. I'm using the breakway as a compromise for fishing rocky bottoms or the artifical reefs we have around here. I also anchor alot on soft bottom where a wreck anchor wouldn't work good.

Been using a Sea Claw rigged as a breakaway for about 5 years. Never had a problem. I use one very thick heavy duty cable tie instead of several small ones. I've only had the cable tie break once during that time. The cable tie often survives motoring forward to break the anchor free(at least 12 times in five years).