Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Giving Advice/direction To Other Boaters

For the most part, I try to keep my mouth shut. However, if I see that is going to endanger another vessel, property, or plain newbies in the water, I will offer advice, whether it's asked or not.

My biggest issue is when I see a family in a boat and there are people in the bow with their feet hanging over the side of the boat. :753_hammer_hitting_head: I look at the captain, and shake my head while pointing at their bow.

Juan

• 4 weeks later...

Owning a 30' sailboat at the time, I was heading into the marina under power, nearing the channel marker and making 5 ktn, behind me came a 40' something kicking out one of the biggest wakes I've seen. This jerk just had to get in front of me and passed my port side some 20' away, drawing 4 feet and being in the narrrow channel I could not turn away from the wake, We got laid over to starboard, then back to port. Although I yelled a warning to my family my 10 year old daughter still got thrown to the floor. A quick call to the NJSP got them right to the marina. NJSP inspected the inside of my boat and saw everything on the floor. They went right over the the A/H and pounded paper on him :605_thumbs_up: . A/H just had to beat me in. I keep my mouth shut unless the safety of my family or boat is involved.

• 2 weeks later...
The anchor thread got me thinking.

Have you even see another boater doing something that won't work out on the water and want to shout out some advice or, after everything has settled down, go across and give a suggestion or two?

There are plenty of times that I have seen guys try to put out a bow anchor and go stern in to a sandbar, or attempt to put out a stern anchor to hold the boat overnight in one direction, etc. and are simply setting everything up wrong to be successful.

While I lend a hand if a guy needs someone to throw a line to at the slip or dock, or stand in the shallow and take an anchor to the beach and dig it in, I am always hesitant to start shouting out instructions, especially if he has a boat full.

Thing is the guy may be a new boater and want the help, but how do you do this without risking totally P'ing someone off?

Is simply being there to lend a hand when asked, or volunteering to catch lines etc. the best we can do?

Only time I ever get involved is when I see a real safety threat, most of those times it's kids with their legs thrown out over the bow when underway and at speed. Then I radio across and just say in an even voice that they may not be aware that their kids are doing that and they need to get them inboard for safety, and in case the FWC see them because they will be written up.

That's a fine line. If I see someone struggling I'll ask if they need a hand and let them decide. If they say yes, then I let them give me directions on what they want. I may suggest a different way but try to be as tactful as possible. Making the Capt look bad is not good. Just my .02