Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trophy Rebuild Phase 5

We removed the T-Top and cleaned all the welds in preperation for powder coating.

We installed the armstrong ladder and installed all the flush mounted stainless steel.

I also received a new and improved panel, as the last one was to thin. I have to wait to finish wiring the panel, as I was shorted on my Ancor connectors.

IMG_0098_(Medium).jpg

IMG_0100_(Medium).jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Although I think it looks nice, I'm not a big fan of powdercoating aluminum. I've had issues in the past on boats I built. The corrosion started fairly quickly after the tops were installed, six weeks on one and about four months on the other.

The corrosion started around the screws and bolts which is what I would expect due to the dissimilar metals, I just didn't think it would happen so fast. We even took extra time trying not to break the paint film. This was some time ago but I'm still jaded.

I've heard that some powdercoaters are treating the metal before application. Have you checked into what is the latest and greatest as far as prep for the aluminum to minimize corrosion problems?

Although I think it looks nice, I'm not a big fan of powdercoating aluminum. I've had issues in the past on boats I built. The corrosion started fairly quickly after the tops were installed, six weeks on one and about four months on the other.

The corrosion started around the screws and bolts which is what I would expect due to the dissimilar metals, I just didn't think it would happen so fast. We even took extra time trying not to break the paint film. This was some time ago but I'm still jaded.

I've heard that some powdercoaters are treating the metal before application. Have you checked into what is the latest and greatest as far as prep for the aluminum to minimize corrosion problems?

I have spoken to the individual who will do the work. He does them for a major builder. I have discussed about the issues with corrosion and will take steps to make sure the two metal with be seperated by using teflon washer. As you can see, we spent several hours making sure all the welds are smoth (no air voids), so the coating will not have an out. This is being done mostly, because I do not want to drop 2K on a new top. The boat will be worth way more than I paid for it in 2003. I am not looking fgor a payday, just a nice ride until we move up.

I have spoken to the individual who will do the work. He does them for a major builder. I have discussed about the issues with corrosion and will take steps to make sure the two metal with be seperated by using teflon washer. As you can see, we spent several hours making sure all the welds are smoth (no air voids), so the coating will not have an out. This is being done mostly, because I do not want to drop 2K on a new top. The boat will be worth way more than I paid for it in 2003. I am not looking fgor a payday, just a nice ride until we move up.

So no actual treatment of the metal? Years ago I used to do some painting and when we had a job that involved aluminum we used a 4 stage system. First was Alumiprep to remove contaminates and etch the metal, then Alodine, which was a chemical wash (some form of chromate I believe). After that 545 primer was applied and then finally the Awlgrip topcoat.

The Alodine was the treatment for the metal to help prevent corrosion, or so I was told. I was curious to know if the powder coaters used something similar.

So no actual treatment of the metal? Years ago I used to do some painting and when we had a job that involved aluminum we used a 4 stage system. First was Alumiprep to remove contaminates and etch the metal, then Alodine, which was a chemical wash (some form of chromate I believe). After that 545 primer was applied and then finally the Awlgrip topcoat.

The Alodine was the treatment for the metal to help prevent corrosion, or so I was told. I was curious to know if the powder coaters used something similar.

I will ask

I like the way that the switches will fit into the footrest . . . interesting discussion on use of teflon washers with powder coating

I got a line on a footwell from a 2009 Triton 281 that will fill the front void better. Triton said they are beginning production next week.