Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Residential Central A/c

I'm stiitng around the house today and I'm watching Frost Nixon. This movie obviously takes place in the 70s. When watching movies I like to try to find bloopers, its usually easy when a movie takes place decades before it was filmed.

In the house used for the interviews I saw a central AC unit outside. Was central AC available to private homes in the mid 70s? I was born in 1974 and I know we didn't have central air until 1985 when my father built a new house. I remember him saying how nice it was going to be to have central air instead of a window shaker in every room.

Chris, it's been around longer than you might think. Did a little "Googling" and found this on http://www.greatachievements.org/?id=3854

1931 "Hot- Kold" year-round central air-conditioning system for homes on the market

Frigidaire markets the "Hot- Kold" year-round central air-conditioning system for homes. During the early 1930s, a number of manufacturers design central air conditioners for homes, a market that grows slowly until the 1960s, when lower costs make it affordable for many new homes.

As that mentions, it seems that central A/C really hit the ground running in the 60's. I know when I was shopping for my first home in the late 60's, it was a feature found in most new homes, but only perhaps 10% of older homes on the market had been retrofitted with it.

I know that I can't imagine living without it now, here in the Sunshine State.