Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

King Mack Reels

Seeking opinions on the best king mackeral reel. I prefer conventional reels, and really like to drift cigar minnows. Which is better, star or lever drags, and why?

Star drags work well for someone who knows what he's doing and not putting a thumb on the spool ... that goes for LD's too. With LD's you can preset drag but you have to use a baseball bat to whack people with heavy thumbs.

Red

I prefer the Star drag for kingfishing. I use both TLD-15's (lever drag), and Speedmasters (star drag) in my spread. The star drags provide a little more finesse if needed. It seems to me that I can adjust a star drag in a split second even while cranking. I like the star drags better for use on my downriggers too.