Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Ipod Connection To Boat Radio

My Marine Alpine CDA-9886M receiver has a connector that looks like this:

ipodax8.jpg

It also has a USB port. I think you can use the USB port to use a different style connection. That Alpine receiver sounds incredible. It is a little bit of a pain using the receiver to search through the IPOD. I also have the optional auxiliary input and I use that. If you connect the IPOD to the receiver using the auxiliary input you can search through the files and set up playlists with the actual IPOD.

All the IPOD capable receivers do is enable you to search through the IPOD with the receiver. It is nice if you want to hide an IPOD out of the elements (or out of sight). If you just want to use the IPOD and hear the sound through the stereo you don't have to worry about an IPOD compatible receiver. Many receivers do not have auxiliary inputs. You must have a receiver with an auxiliary input to be able to connect the IPOD through the headphone jack to the receiver.

Or you could just use an amp and use a 1/8" stereo-to-RCA cable to attach the iPod to the inputs. Wire the + and - to your 12 volt busses and wire the power switching wire to a switch on the dash. Control playback and volume from the iPod (or other audio source).

I discovered that a Radio Shack double female 1/8" connector will just fit into a 1/2" hole (the size of my dash switches) with a small amount of trimming so now I have a jack in the dash to plug my mp3 player into. A couple of companies make dash jacks that would work for less than $20, but they need a 3/4" hole and I already had a 1/2" one. No way is my iPod going on my little boat! I keep a cheapo one for boat music.

I would love to take credit for this idea, but I learned it from GlenE. I'm sure that you could search this great internet to find more directions if you need them, but it is pretty straight forward.