Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

The Latest From Yamaha Regarding The Effects Of E10 Fuels

Personally, I believe the "hygroscopic" aspect of ethanol is just as detrimental as the solvent capabilities.

What is one to do. Our cars are not like our boats. We use our cars/trucks everyday, and fuel is not allowed to sit.

The marine segment of the energy industry, especially recreation, is so small that it is not in THEIR best interests to formulate a fuel to meet the recreational boater's needs.

So, what are we to do, besides Sta-bil? :504_shrugging:

Personally, I believe the "hygroscopic" aspect of ethanol is just as detrimental as the solvent capabilities.

What is one to do. Our cars are not like our boats. We use our cars/trucks everyday, and fuel is not allowed to sit.

The marine segment of the energy industry, especially recreation, is so small that it is not in THEIR best interests to formulate a fuel to meet the recreational boater's needs.

So, what are we to do, besides Sta-bil? :504_shrugging:

in case you missed it........there is a caveat for "Airplanes" and "Boats". now the question is, how will this play out? will trailer boaters be forced to visit a marina for straight gas, or will there be regular gas stations that can order and dispense straight gas? it gets pretty sticky unless people start to sound off.

FWIW i have been fortunate enough to have access to straight gas and have only run this in my boat. 2 days ago i just spent $2900 for the YES Yamaha extended warranty solely due the risk of what ethanol fuels WILL do to my engine/fuel system when we are finally force fed this garbage in 2010.

Jim,

I didn't miss the caveat. I just don't see it happening. Aircraft? Yes. Recreational boats? Not so sure.

Fuel eats up your system at 5000', serious problems. Fuel eats up your system 20 miles offshore? File a float plan and call Seatow. BIG difference...

The thing that will really send you into orbit is the fact that adding ethanol to gasoline actually does nothing at all in regards to cleaner burning gasoline it actually lowers mileage numbers. This is all a ruse to keep the ethanol producing companies in the mid-west driving Mercedes and the farmers happy to have someone to sell their corn based ethanol to. Corn based ethanol is very low in energy production when compared to sugar beets and other vegetables used for distilling ethanol. I have a paper put out by the Audubon or Sierra Clubs that goes into detail about this little secret. We have had the E10 here in the northeast for a couple of years now and it has wreaked havoc with the carbed engines and some injected ones as well. Thankfully my Honda doesn't care what I feed her as long as I feed her. I change the fuel/water seperator every spring and add some of that Startron stuff every now and then and I have not had any issues.

I was at a boat show recently and had the chance to talk with a gentlemen who is very knowledgeable regarding effects of E10 on marine and non-marine engines. My question to him was why have I not had any bad effects from E10 if I have been running it for a while already? The gentlemen, Tim, had a demonstration to show me how his product takes the water in the fuel and re-suspends it in the gas. It was pretty convincing. Anyway, I am including an email from him that explains it better than I ever can. I like the product. I have a 2003 Yamaha 200 HPDI. I use Yamalube and ring free exclusively. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

Regards,

Cabana Dan

Hi Daniel, yes I do remember you, thanks for the email. I get this question

often, the fact of the matter is you have been lucky so far. The big issue

with ethanol is it is a very unstable fuel when it is shipped from the

refinery. It is shipped through several tank farms/distributors and contract

delivery trucks. If you continue to get fresh fuel and the trucks are clean

you may not have a problem. However we do fuel polishing jobs everyday for

people that haven't had problems before. When it hits it is sudden and gets

progressively worse very quickly. Fuel demand is down and continues to

decrease, fuel storage tanks are bulging with over supply which is the worst

scenario for ethanol. It will absorb water from the atmosphere when kept in

storage and progresses into a acidic/rancid condition which can present

serious problems. Our Gas-shok product is an extremely effective stabilizer,

plus it increases MPG 10-20% which more than offsets its cost. Therefore it

only makes sense to be proactive rather than reactive, use it as insurance

against the possibility of problems. It has been our experience that if you

are not using a good stabilizer it is not a question of if you will have

problems but when. Our products have been certified as safe for use in all

fuel burning engines. They will not affect your warranty or attack hoses,

gaskets or seals. We are setting up new dealers in your area. It will be

available soon in Sunshine Ace, Naples Marine, Wolcott Marine, and Marina

Mikes. we will also ship it to you at your request. Have a great weekend,

THX again. Tim

Here in Florida you can quite often get fuel WITHOUT ethanol at BP stations. Not sure if that's the case in other parts of the country. Don't know how long that will last.

My boat is only fueled at the marina. So far the marinas DO NOT use ethanol fuels. I even buy containers of it for the many antique motorcycles I have. You think boats have ethanol problems?

For old motorcycles it's an expensive nightmare.

Get involved and let your reps know what you think. Otherwise suffer the consequences.

FL is a unique boating environment and due to the moisture/humidity as well as rainfall, is particularly NOT well suited for ethanol fuels.

FH has been privy to my posts elsewhere..........but in case you don't know, a friend of mine who manages a local ethanol-free BP station says straight gas will no longer be available to order from the distributor within the next 30 days.

post-2300-1240230011_thumb.jpg

Just last Friday I had Jet Age Fuel in Clearwater deliver no-e10 fuel. When the driver showed up he was surprised that the boat was on a trailer and wanted to make sure I understood the price (2.76/gal). I said yes, and that I did not want to use E-10 if I don't have to. Having the fuel delivered is still cheaper then buyig it on the water. For me, there is just to much risk using e-10.